well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID Vaccine Price Hike Coming

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID Vaccine Price Hike Coming
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.reuters.com/articl...pfizer-idUSKBN2RG143

quote:
[Pfizer and] Germany's BioNTech (22UAy.DE), said on Thursday evening that it is targeting a range of $110 to $130 a dose for the vaccine once the United States moves to a commercial market next year. …

The price range announced by Pfizer represented a more than 10,000% markup over what experts have estimated it costs the vaccine makers to produce the shots …

The article also quotes analysts saying that they expect other vaccine makers to follow suit in view of Pfizer’s price hike.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's a very effective way to confine vaccine uptake to the people in the top 5% of the income distribution.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Well, there are still Medicare and Medicaid and employer sponsored plans that cover a lot of the lower income folks.

At the moment, I cannot think of a good free market based argument to convince the vaccine makers to sell the vaccines at a price point that is much lower than “what the market can bear.” Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Stick it to them. /s

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Well, there are still Medicare and Medicaid and employer sponsored plans that cover a lot of the lower income folks.

At the moment, I cannot think of a good free market based argument to convince the vaccine makers to sell the vaccines at a price point that is much lower than “what the market can bear.” Shrug

Insurance plans do not need to cover things they see as optional. Gold plated ones likely will (like mine), but those plans disproportionately serve upper income folks.

Medicare/Medicaid might, but that's a political decision. And if they do, the government may give Pfizer and followers ... [Brando voice on] "we're gonna make you an offer you can't refuse. [Brando voice off].

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Do folks pay for the flu shot in the US? What about other vaccines?

We have to pay for a few. The shingles vaccine isn’t free, nor are vaccinations specific to travel. But other than that all of the “standard” ones (including flu) are free from doctor’s offices, public health, and pharmacies. I assume our Covid vaccinations will continue to be free as well, but it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4094 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Their product is defective. They are greedy and decietful without end. Of course it's a "free market" now that the government has paid for their research and subsidized their product. They are devoid of conscience. May they rot in hell.

Ask me how I really feel.

ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pfizer got an advance purchase agreement, but unlike Moderna and AstraZeneca, got no US federal funding for vaccine development, manufacturing, or distribution.

edit: That said, the US always seems to pay top dollar for drugs, vaccines, and other medical products.

And I looked up how much it costs to get a flu vaccine if you don't have insurance.

https://blog.cheapism.com/flu-...ens-walmart/#slide=2

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Mea culpa.

The US government did subsidize their product but did not fund the development. Instead they funded the development of the Covid virus.

May they all rot in hell.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Pfizer got an advance purchase agreement, but unlike Moderna and AstraZeneca, got no US federal funding for vaccine development, manufacturing, or distribution.

edit: That said, the US always seems to pay top dollar for drugs, vaccines, and other medical products.

And I looked up how much it costs to get a flu vaccine if you don't have insurance.

https://blog.cheapism.com/flu-...ens-walmart/#slide=2

Eeker

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4094 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I know it is de facto in the US at least but I don't know why anyone would think capitalism is an acceptable system for the provision of healthcare in society.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I thought from the first when vaccines finally became a thing, that it was patent that maximum vaccination was in everyone's best interest.

Therefore, price was irrelevant.

When did that reasoning change?

(Kind of funny - KIND OF - that the demographic most apt to avoid vaccination, were the RightWingers with their superstitious/political insistence on staying away from them.)

I wouldn't be surprised, though (human nature being so contrary), if a fair number of those anti-vaxers now became indignant at being forced to pay for vaccines - and at a level quite capable of pinching their wallets. ("HE-E-Y-Y! What happened to our free vaccines and how come the elite are being giving preference?" Mad)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post