well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    @$#&*%! Water damage. AGAIN.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

@$#&*%! Water damage. AGAIN.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Our ice maker, which has not worked since we purchased the house decided to spring a leak sometime Wednesday or Thursday or Friday, I noticed a little dark water mark between the laminate floorboards Friday night, but I just thought somebody had spilled something(we had a party for mr Jodi’s coworkers that night) Saturday Morning I forgot about it, we went out to Costco, came back at noon and it was worse, and we realized it was the fridge. We pulled the fridge, turned off the water (I had assumed it was off, it was REALLY STUPID not to check, and in hindsight, the last few days, just after mr Jodi turned the house water off and on to replace toilet innards that were not working properly, the noise from the fridge was different, like water was actually running when the thing sounded like it was trying to make ice. (Before it just did a click and nothing) I am such an idiot.

The drywall behind was soaked up about 5 inches, the trim was soaked around the corner, and there were puddles in the crawl space. A couple of the laminate floorboards about 4 feet away had curled at the edges, mr Jodi tore out what he could get onto of the wet drywall and trim, we have fans set up, I called the insurance company, and a flooring company right before they closed yesterday and the soonest they can get somebody out is wednesday! I will try a couple of other places as soon as they open. I know there is water sitting under the floor, a good sized section is going to have to come out. What a disaster. (The only good thing is we are really dry here, and there is nothing finished below this, and it is warm enough to open all the vents to the crawl space)

I guess the house gods are just reminding me (after feeling such relief with our Maine house sale) that there is no such thing as smooth sailing in homeownership. We chose this newer house because old houses have problems and that is just working out so well! We have a roof with defective shingles, we had ice jam/gutter issues that have swelled the siding by the garage, and I just can’t wait to turn the sprinkler system back on this year to find out what broke there. Worst part is not knowing who to trust to call for help!

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Carpity carp!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Ugh ugh ugh.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the new house.

They certainly don't make appliances very well, these days.

Have you ever tried https://www.homeadvisor.com/ ?

We did once and got a guy that wasn't that great of a contractor. He did end up installing the new door properly after enlisting the help of a retired carpenter and losing his shirt on the job he quoted. Needless to say we won't be using him again. But, I don't necessarily fault home advisor.

I feel your pain and I hope you find a trusted contractor.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ugh. So sorry.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
good thing you caught it before it got any worse--as in mold. that is the really nightmare that keeps me up at night.

we put a remote hygrometer in our crawl space because i'm paranoid about mold.

next house will not have a crawl space.

call your realtor to get contractor recommendations.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What a pain. Things use to be so much simpler.

Poor Jodi...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Better a crawl space than a finished basement, not sure I would have noticed it any sooner. The crawl space is fine today - the guys said it wasn’t even worth putting a fan down there, i opened all the vents, there is good cross ventilation and it has mostly evaporated.

Most of the water either soaked into the sub floor, or was sitting between the plastic layer and the flooring, I found a mitigation company to remove stuff today. They’ve put in huge fans and a big dehumidifier to hasten the drying. Tomorrow the flooring guy comes, and he knows drywall people.

It sounds like an airplane taking off in here, I may lose my mind before tomorrow comes.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Unfvcking believable. The flooring was discontinued LAST MONTH, and there is no more stock. And the flooring guy (who was not able to get here until last night to “take a look”, which means there would still be a gigantic puddle under our floor told me that if the restoration company had “removed the floor properly” we would not have had to replace so much of it and probably would have been ok with the box and a bit we had in the basement. WTF. The insurance adjuster told me to call the restoration people - to prevent more damage. (And mold)

So it’s the same exact position we were in in Billings with the hail damage to one window, then having to replace all of them so they matched. This flooring goes through the ENTIRE house except for the three bedrooms and the bathroom. Unless we can find 5 boxes of it somewhere on the planet, that means we have to move all the furniture - including the piano. Omg. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere..

I'll help look, if you want. Who is the manufacturer and what is the style/color?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post

One other option - there might be enough in the kitchen to fill in the fireplace room - then replace the kitchen with tile - but the house is very open concept, so there really are not divisions between the rooms and i *really* like that the floor is continuous. I know there are bigger problems in the world than this, between this and a few other stresses in our lives at the moment, I just want to sit down and cry. ****.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It still shows up on Mannington's site as an active product, if it's the flooring I think it is. And Amazon is selling it.

Mannington: https://www.mannington.com/Res...n/Keystone-Oak/28200

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manning...ystone/dp/B01MDKO6US

What the heck...if it's your flooring, just try placing an order and see what happens..

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Pretty much just do whatever WTG says, she's never wrong. Ole

Jodi, I am so, so sorry you're having to deal with this! Take lots of deep breaths, and then take a little bit of time to think about how you want to deal with the flooring.

If you can't get the same flooring, don't give up on the idea of different floor in the kitchen. I get the idea of having all the same floor for the open concept. But having different flooring in the kitchen is also very, very common, can can look quite nice. Something totally waterproof might be good too.

Decide what your priorities are and that should help you think about whether you want to deal with the hassle of moving the piano etc. or not.

And come and post on WTF as much as you need or want to!!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18572 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Carp.

Was the fridge covered by any sort of seller's warranty? Was the non-working ice-maker disclosed?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It still shows up on Mannington's site as an active product, if it's the flooring I think it is. And Amazon is selling it.

Mannington: https://www.mannington.com/Res...n/Keystone-Oak/28200

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manning...ystone/dp/B01MDKO6US

What the heck...if it's your flooring, just try placing an order and see what happens..

Keystone oak and keystone oak patina are two different colors. 28200 and 28202

It’s the patina that is discontinued.

Smiler Jodi