well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Family time
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family time
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There are lots of hunters here, and fishermen too. I posted in the neighborhood Facebook page last night to see I can get bones from one of my neighbors.

My intention is to make the bones in to stock, not to feed them directly. I don’t think Ruca’s teeth are strong enough and Sharon doesn’t like grease on the rugs.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
For an oldster like Ruca, I think it's good to go slow and steady, to make small changes, and to watch how they affect her.

I've never gone the raw bones route either, for the reasons you mention. The bone broth is rich in nutrients and very tasty, and I think it's a great way to improve her diet.

Ruca's in for a great treat!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Glory of glories, Ruca made it through the night without pooping in the house! The anti-diarrheal appears to work.

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mismatched set, with toys:

The old gal herself:

Taking pictures of two year olds is always a dicey proposition:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great photos! The boys are adorable. And the pack looks very comfy....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
There are lots of hunters here, and fishermen too. I posted in the neighborhood Facebook page last night to see I can get bones from one of my neighbors.

My intention is to make the bones in to stock, not to feed them directly. I don’t think Ruca’s teeth are strong enough and Sharon doesn’t like grease on the rugs.

what's important is to distinguish between weight bearing and non-weight bearing bones. weight bearing bones are hard. non-weight bearing are soft and grindable to add to the food bowl. i agree letting a very old dog chew bones, raw or not, if they are weightbearing,isn't probably the best idea. she could lose a tooth.

making a bone broth is even better as you should be able to provide all the nutrients bones have without the risk of compaction.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Update.

Ruca is in better shape than anyone expected. Diarrhea is mostly gone and Pepto Bismol takes care if it. It’s much cheaper than what the vet prescribed. She can actually see and hear well enough to get by.

Going outside and down the back steps was a problem because she has no depth perception. We got her a snazzy new pink plaid harness with a suitcase handle and it works to guide her. She eats like a horse and wags her tail a lot and I think she’ll be OK for a while.

I’ve settled on a dog mush formula, supplemented by softened WAG kibble for trace elements. I’ve been using pumpkin but it’s $$$ so I’m looking in to using some local squash. The price of chicken thighs has dropped below $2/pound so I’ve been using them. Stale bread and heels help add calories and grain at no cost. At this rate it’s cheaper than feeding a higher end canned food. She’s putting on weight so it seems to be working.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
My mother was a lyric soprano. She studied at the Metropolitan Opera. Her studies ended due to the Great Depression.
I do not have a recording of her singing. Not one. There were some when she had a radio show for a short period, but the recording quality was poor.

What a disappointment for your mom, CHAS, and what a double shame that you don't have a single recording of her singing. Very sad. Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, I just got back from 2 weeks in Alabama. I stayed at my sister’s house in a lovely lakeside community some 40 miles from Huntsville.

I went there because my BIL died suddenly and my sister needed a bit of support/help putting things in order. They were married over 30 years and grieving him is going to take a very long time. He was 67, (my age Eeker) and died as the result of a stroke. His health had been nearly perfect until that moment. He was found at the base of a ladder on the garage floor, having managed to call for help, but was never able to do much more.

I never know what to do or say in these situations but I did what I could. I got the A/C fixed, made lists of the necessary phone calls, arranged to sell the motorcycle, put the boat in storage, finished up Don’s honey-do list, squared up the phones and computers, and helped with the paperwork. Mostly we sat and talked - about everything - and nothing. I’m glad I had the time and glad I took the time.

The dynamic changed during the second week when the rest of my siblings arrived. Plans were made for a nice lakeside service and a wake at the house, enough food was cooked to feed an army, the house, which was plenty clean to start with, was scrubbed from top to bottom. Pictures were collected and a slideshow created. A selection of Don’s favorite music was collected and turned in to a soundtrack for the wake. The women talked a lot too; different topics than the ones we talked about earlier but probably more important. Memories, feelings, expressions of grief.

The service was very nice and the wake went off without a hitch. The neighbors were wonderful and she is fortunate to surrounded by such nice people. I know they’ll be looking after her. Sharon and I left two days after the service but my brother and youngest sister stayed for a few more days.

Aside from the circumstances it was a very pleasant visit, but at the end I was ready to come home. What struck me is I was not longing for our home in California, but instead missed our home here - in Ohio.

Sandy said she’ll come for Christmas. Guess we’re staying.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry about your brother in law. Good that you were able to help your sister.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I was curious about why you were in Mississippi. Perhaps I missed some earlier mention of the circumstances.

I'm sorry to hear of your BIL's death. It was good that you were able to support your sister in this time of grief.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post