well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ultra Expensive Drugs for Rare Diseases

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra Expensive Drugs for Rare Diseases
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...s-rare-diseases.html
quote:
Rare diseases, however, aren’t all that rare. There are an estimated 7,000 of them, and about 30 million Americans have one — roughly the same number of people in the United States with diabetes. And although there are no treatments for most rare diseases, new therapies are coming on the market nearly every month, with some reaching beyond $2 million a year for a single treatment. Of 59 new drugs approved in 2018, more than half, or 34, were for rare diseases. Those treatments are typically the most expensive, helping to drive an increase in overall spending on prescriptions nationwide.
As more and more families are beseeching drug companies and insurers to pay for this novel class of treatments, both big and small employers are getting hit with higher drug bills. It may be for a worker’s child with hemophilia whose treatments can cost over $1 million or for an employee receiving immunotherapy for lung cancer. But not every union or corporate employer has an adequate cushion to absorb these prescription bills.
Many more examples of very expensive drugs for “rare diseases” discussed in the article.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, you read my mind.

For the last 18 months, I have had itchy acne on my face. I have never had acne before, so I did all the typical things to address it. Changed my soaps, make-up, etc. No dice.

After a while, I observed that it got worse when I drank alcohol. I cut back, and still I would have these inexplicable flare-ups.

I went to a (new) dermatologist, and she explained what it was. She gave me a cream that Google says has a 70% chance of working.

I picked it up from the pharmacy this weekend. It is a 50 gram tube of a generic cream, not the name brand. I have good prescription drug insurance. So what was my portion of the cost of this cream:

$114.

Insurance paid $183.

What the heck? Come on. This is not a chemo drug -- it is for skin inflammation. There is no way this drug should cost over $300.

We have got to do something about this.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
(off topic)

A prescription drug PSA - check the cash price before you go through your insurance.

https://health.usnews.com/heal...or-your-prescription

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post