well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keep Wearing Masks?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep Wearing Masks?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
While we are still testing positive, we are isolating and wearing masks in the house whenever my daughter comes down stairs. So far she has avoided getting infected which is pretty remarkable.

We go into our 3rd week of isolation... Both of our PCRs came back + this weekend.

Mark, I'm confused about why you are still in isolation. The CDC guidelines (as per my contact tracer training) are that positive cases are to stay in isolation for five days after the appearance of their first symptom (or first positive test if they have no symptoms), and then if symptoms are gone, the next 5 days to wear an N95 mask whenever they are around others. Ten days after onset, no isolation necessary, unless you still have symptoms.

Testing positive will continue to happen for 90 days after onset, but if you have no symptoms, you are not contagious.

Wondering if you are following your local public health guidelines or are just being abundantly cautious? Or do you still have symptoms?

If the last, hope you and the Mrs are much better very soon.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21372 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I don't see my public mask behavior changing all that much. I'll continue to wear a mask, I'm pretty sure, indoors, upgrading to N95 in closed spaces (like flying). I'll probably ditch it in outdoor spaces where we can maintain a distance from anyone outside our pod.

Of course, if this new omicron variant becomes a significant thing, I reserve the right to change my behavior.

I've given up on trying to talk to other people about their mask behavior. It's not going to change and all it will do is cause friction. At this point we all have "done our research," good or bad, and we're all dug in. I'm not meaning that as a snide comment, but a statement of fact. Just as there's likely nothing an anti-masker can say to change my mind, there's nothing I can say to cause an anti-masker to put on a mask.

Posts: 35394 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina: Just as there's likely nothing an anti-masker can say to change my mind, there's nothing I can say to cause an anti-masker to put on a mask.

True, but saying something is so much fun. Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
You have to decide how much risk to accept.

Cindy, I'm not directing this post at you specifically, because comments like the one I'm quoting here are super common. I don't think you or anyone else has any ill intent in saying it. But, having said that....

I'm starting to get pretty sick of hearing this when each person's risk and exposure are so different.

For example, Cindy is working from home right now. I'm working in poorly ventilated classrooms with 25 people breathing on each other.

That might be more risk than I want to accept, but I don't have a choice (unless I quit my job, so, still not a choice).
. No worries.

I just think it is appropriate to acknowledge my privilege. It would be obnoxious to pretend that I choose not to mask because I am a brave warrior when the fact I’m just lucky.

If our situations were reversed, then I would have to decide how much risk to accept as a teacher. I would probably not be willing to accept much.

Posts: 19766 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post