well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Superstar Cities are in Trouble

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superstar Cities are in Trouble
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
This article has 100 problems, but it’s a fun read and some predictions might come true.

Super Cities are in Trouble.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I know that some of what that article says is true for me.

First of all, I could never do what I do without working remotely.

Second of all, the only reason I'm allowed to work remotely is because the concept has been proven to work.

Third, I wouldn't do what I do if I had to commute. That extra time, plus the presentability factor, would make change the cost/benefit equation.

And finally .... perhaps most tellingly ... many of the clients with whom I work only find out that I'm in Oklahoma weeks later, if ever. It's simply not relevant or obvious to them.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Oh, no! It is too crowded here.
People are moving to Montana and so forth.
I like cities because so many of the people are there
and I am here.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That article rings true for me, to a point. There will always be people who want to live in a vibrant city in order to take advantage of various cultural options (theater, concerts, good restaurants). Yes, these things aren't found only in urban areas, but multiple diverse options seem to be urban.

Also, as we age access to good health care becomes more important.

I understand the outflow, but I don't think it means that major cities are "in trouble." It's always an ebb and flow.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Oh, no! It is too crowded here.
People are moving to Montana and so forth.
I like cities because so many of the people are there
and I am here.

ROTFLMAO

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post