well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ending birthright citizenship
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ending birthright citizenship
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
That Stars & Stripes is supposed to clarify? Gad. Sounds like typical USCIS gobbledygook to me.

"The policy update now requires parents who are stationed overseas with their child to file Form N-600K, “Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322,” to apply for citizenship on behalf of the child before he or she turns 18 years old. Parents who submit an application for citizenship before the policy change will have it considered under the old policy.

Parents who are U.S. citizens and whose child is born overseas at a military base or at an off-base hospital outside of the United States can submit for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the State Department or a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS for their child to be a citizen at the time of their birth, according to a USCIS document about the policy change."

Um, do they mean that if you are active military you file Form N-600K, but if you are a civilian who happens to have your child in a military hospital (don't think that can happen) or any other hospital does that Consular Report thing? Is the policy change simply switching the form they're supposed to use?

And a random question: why would any US citizen, military or otherwise, not file forms to give their kid citizenship at birth if born overseas?

More questions than answers.

Uh oh.

Does this mean if I don't make it to the hospital and have my baby in a cab, the child cannot be a US citizen?

Regarding why a US citizen wouldn't file forms to give their kid citizenship . . .

It could be that the parents are unaware. It could be that the parents are worried they have unpaid taxes or debts to the government. It could be that the parents are worried about an outstanding warrant. It could be that the parents forget, or they do file the paperwork and it gets lost.

The objectionable parts is that my citizenship should not depend on whether my parents do or do not file necessary paperwork on time. I ought to be able to assert it at any point once I become an adult.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Someone seemingly knowledgeable told me this:

“It’s been years since I did consular work, but I’m pretty sure the American citizen would have very little trouble bringing in the other parent as long as that parent is a spouse. And the American citizen baby would not be able to sponsor any immigrant before 21 years of age. What this really poorly rolled-out change seems to affect is the foreign-born baby’s ability to transmit his/her citizenship to the next generation. This requires 5 consecutive years of residence in the US before a certain age. Current rules count life abroad in a military/diplomatic/official status as qualifying as residence. The theory is that a citizen should not be penalized for serving our country abroad. (Applied for the same reason to children of those serving abroad.). This will impact a small minority of foreign births, but there will still be an impact. And it was unnecessary, and thus suspicious.”

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Better explanation from NPR, and mostly along the lines of what Quirt posted:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29...-workers-abroad-mean

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Does this impose financial costs on people?

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I assume that it costs money and takes a ton of time to file the paperwork. I've not seen anything from USCIS that is free. Other than the aggravation--that is free and plentiful. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am curious about the costs too. My experience with USCIS is that filing fees are very expensive, and filing itself is incredibly stressful because of all the obscure procedures and complicated rules. And because of the fact that if you make a mistake, you have to re-file, which means re-pay.

From Quirt’s friend:
quote:
The theory is that a citizen should not be penalized for serving our country abroad.

This. Well and all of the other comments being made in this thread as well. This is just infuriating.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience with USCIS is that filing fees are very expensive, and filing itself is incredibly stressful

Yes, mine, too. We ended up hiring an immigration attorney because the cost of goofing up during their byzantine processing (refiling, repaying, etc.) was just too high.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post