well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ending birthright citizenship
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ending birthright citizenship
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I-1 has brought it up again.

When you've lost John Yoo....

http://www.aei.org/publication...-the-14th-amendment/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not a lawyer, but his deductive arguments about the meaning of the 14th amendment, given its history and the case history that followed seems very persuasive to me.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Really, it can be reduced to five words:

The Supreme Court has already spoken.

As if that would matter to several members of the current Supreme Court.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Nuts

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seems like an odd thing to worry about, no?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Look at Western history starting with Europe.

Person name of X place

Family name of X place

Family names are sometimes named after castles

One has to be someome from somewhere.

So, I'll repeat myself: Nuts

Daniel, who stopped taking John Yoo seriously many moons ago

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Seems like an odd thing to worry about, no?

Someone is spending a lot of time on this.

quote:
Children born to US service members and government employees overseas will no longer be automatically considered citizens of the United States, according to policy alert issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Wednesday.

Previously, children born to US citizen parents were considered to be "residing in the United States," and therefore would be automatically given citizenship under Immigration and Nationality Act 320.

Now, children born to US service members and government employees, such as those born in US military hospitals or diplomatic facilities, will not be considered as residing in the US, changing the way that they potentially receive citizenship.

The change in policy was first reported by San Francisco Chronicle reporter Tal Kopan.

According to USCIS, previous legislation also explicitly said that spouses of service members who were living outside the US because of their spouses were considered residing in the US, but "that no similar provision was included for children of U.S. armed forces members in the acquisition of citizenship context is significant."

That is one of the reasons why USCIS has now decided that those children are not considered to be residing in the US, and therefore will not be automatically given citizenship. Instead, they will fall under INA 322, which considers them to be residing outside the US and requires them to apply for naturalization.

They will be allowed to complete all naturalization proceedings while living abroad, the new policy says.

https://www.businessinsider.co...c-citizenship-2019-8

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They will be allowed to complete all naturalization proceedings while living abroad, the new policy says

So, will they also have the filing fees waived?? USCIS filing fees are incredibly expensive, and the filing process is also complex and time-consuming.

So the US is punishing citizens for their service now? Lovely.

And yes, this moves things further toward the direction of ending birthright citizenship.

We absolutely have to get I1 out of office in 2020. I don’t see any way our country will be able to withstand another 4 years of him.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It seems obvious to me what they are concerned about. A soldier stationed overseas marries a foreign national; they have a baby; the baby gets citizenship; and then functions as an anchor baby to pull in the rest of the family. Once again, it's fear of people of color. I'm pretty sure that a soldier who has a baby with a German national isn't going to have the same difficulty getting citizenship for that baby as a soldier who has a baby with a (just as one example) Philippine national will.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
John McCain...

I wouldn't be at all surprised that Doris Slater (a mondegreen of "dearest leader" that a friend uses to talk about Trump) is behind this, because of McCain's health care vote. He's that petty and vindictive.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Easy to check, I suppose. Look into McCain's parents' situation to see if they would have run afoul of the new procedures if little McCain had been born today.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder how many people this policy clarification will affect. It seems an odd issue for the administration to take up when there are so many other things to deal with.

Coverage in Stars and Stripes: https://www.stripes.com/news/u...ir-children-1.596291

Regarding McCain...found this discussion about his citizenship back from when he was running for president.

https://www.politifact.com/tru...008/may/12/born-usa/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That Stars & Stripes is supposed to clarify? Gad. Sounds like typical USCIS gobbledygook to me.

"The policy update now requires parents who are stationed overseas with their child to file Form N-600K, “Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322,” to apply for citizenship on behalf of the child before he or she turns 18 years old. Parents who submit an application for citizenship before the policy change will have it considered under the old policy.

Parents who are U.S. citizens and whose child is born overseas at a military base or at an off-base hospital outside of the United States can submit for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the State Department or a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS for their child to be a citizen at the time of their birth, according to a USCIS document about the policy change."

Um, do they mean that if you are active military you file Form N-600K, but if you are a civilian who happens to have your child in a military hospital (don't think that can happen) or any other hospital does that Consular Report thing? Is the policy change simply switching the form they're supposed to use?

And a random question: why would any US citizen, military or otherwise, not file forms to give their kid citizenship at birth if born overseas?

More questions than answers.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, S&S did say this:

quote:
But the policy announcement triggered widespread confusion about what it meant and who would be affected.

Apparently they are also included in the confusion.

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
such as those born in ... diplomatic facilities, will not be considered as residing in the US,

Isn't an embassy considered soil of the country who's embassy it is?
If this applies to home births within an embassy, that the kid is not on US soil and therefore not a citizen, then a lot of the protection afforded to / by embassies goes out the window with it. Oy.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post