well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Knife to Canadian Jews

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Knife to Canadian Jews
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Interesting perspective on Canadian Ban

... on Kosher animal slaughter.

Apparently Muslim ritual slaughter to produce Halal food (the technique is functionally identical) remains fine.

One of the first thing the Nazis did wherever they went in Europe was to ban shechita.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Talk about a complicated topic. I just did a quick look at wiki for shechita and halal and was deep into the weeds of the issues.

Ran across this interview with Tempel Grandin. It was one of the references footnoted in a wiki article.

https://medium.com/@rabbiyankl...grandin-7c124be209c3

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That destroyed my favorable opinion of Canada.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I don't know how this will play out. But it's hard not to conclude that this is anti-Jewish with only a veneer of animal rights cover. Either that or it's tone-deaf and bloody-minded ignorant. I'm sure some Jews will get on OK because they're not religiously dependent on kosher foods, but others will have to leave. I hope they take all their assets out of Canada and bring them here, or to Israel.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
So I looked up “shechita” and watched YouTube videos to get a sense of what that practice entails.

I watched one video from the KindlingGroup, presumably a pro-Jewish organization that is inclined to emphasize the good side of shechita, and a video from PETA, which presumably is inclined to emphasize the bad side of shechita.

Fair warning: both videos linked below show the slaughtering of animals and show blood.

The KindlingGroup video: https://youtu.be/T8p-hfLrVx4

The PETA video: https://youtu.be/WviIO1oAYM0

Then I think back to a childhood experience where I witnessed a group of Muslims performed a ceremonial slaughtering of a cow or bull — basically multiple men first dug a hole in the ground, then wrestled the fully conscious animal to the group, another man recited scripture while yet another man used a big long knife to slid the throat of the animal. The throat of the animal was positioned right above the hole in the group so the animal basically bleeds into the hole. The animal was held there as it bled until death. Then more recitation of scripture and more ceremonial stuff performed over the blood filled hole in the ground.

So I throw in here another video on the Muslim “halal” method of slaughtering a cow in an industrial setting: https://youtu.be/Bu9Gd-XEDfY

In all instances, I see no reason why the animal needs to be kept conscious while bleeding out. To be humane, short of not killing the animal in the first place, would be to minimize the pain and minimize amount of time the animal “feels” the pain when it is slaughtered. We have the science and the technology to do this better now.

Various religions have historically condoned or even codified certain practices: slavery, child marriage, certain ways of doing circumcisions, burning/burying of the wife alive along with the dead husband, chopping off the hands of thieves, stoning criminals/sinners to death, etc. Most civilized nation-states have banned many of these practices, and largely we do not call such bans anti-this-religion or anti-that-religion. In time, we will do better in this regard with respect to the slaughtering of animals, too.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
In all instances, I see no reason why the animal needs to be kept conscious while bleeding out. To be humane, short of not killing the animal in the first place, would be to minimize the pain and minimize amount of time the animal “feels” the pain when it is slaughtered. We have the science and the technology to do this better now.

Various religions have historically condoned or even codified certain practices: slavery, child marriage, certain ways of doing circumcisions, burning/burying of the wife alive along with the dead husband, chopping off the hands of thieves, stoning criminals/sinners to death, etc. Most civilized nation-states have banned many of these practices, and largely we do not call such bans anti-this-religion or anti-that-religion. In time, we will do better in this regard with respect to the slaughtering of animals, too.

Well put, Ax.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'm not going to watch those videos. and i don't know anything about how animals are killed for kosher meat, nor the reasons for those particular practices. every jewish practice or rule that i'm familiar with was originally done for health reasons. i'm sure that in ancient times there were health reasons for the kosher rules, so i assume that's the rationale behind these practices.

and PETA is a ridiculous, extremist group. they don't believe in animal ownership. they think pets are better off dead than owned by humans. while i do agree with them that animals have personhood, it does not necessarily follow that then we shouldn't eat meat or have pets.

in the current political climate, with anti-semitism roaring to life around the world, canada's timing is a poor choice at best. it just inflames anti-semites and frightens jews who are already feeling pretty terrified. the context for this decision is not good.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21335 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:

Well put, Ax.

Big Al

+2

Posts: 24709 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post