well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    DirectTVNow is losing cable cutters

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DirectTVNow is losing cable cutters
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
If you're considering cutting the cable cord, you might find this TechCrunch article about the state of live TV streaming services of interest. Some good info in the comments section, too. I hadn't heard about Xfinity Instant, for instance.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/30/atts- ... d-cutters/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
reduce wireless subscriber churn

What the heck does that mean? What is "churn" when not in the context of talking about butter??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18604 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Churn refers to subscribers who leave a service.

People even write papers about it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'd love to figure out the origin of this usage!!

Posts: 18604 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I think it comes from the desire to understand the volatility of their subscriber base. Having a million subscribers means something different when you have a million stable subscribers versus when you a half million stable subscribers and a constant stream of half a million people leaving and a half a million people coming in. The second situation has a turbulent, "churning" feel to it. At least that's how I've always interpreted this use of "churn."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15521 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I think it comes from the desire to understand the volatility of their subscriber base. Having a million subscribers means something different when you have a million stable subscribers versus when you a half million stable subscribers and a constant stream of half a million people leaving and a half a million people coming in. The second situation has a turbulent, "churning" feel to it. At least that's how I've always interpreted this use of "churn."

Likewise.

Posts: 45770 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, that makes sense!

Words are so cool! suave

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I agree. I think that as in making butter, "churn" in business means stuff is in constant motion, swirling around, coming and going.

Cell phone service providers use the term to describe the constant flux of customers joining or leaving their service -- usually when their promotional rate expires or when another company makes them a (seemingly) better offer.

In stock trading, churn is when a broker is continually buying and selling stocks on your behalf -- usually more to generate commissions than to manage your portfolio to make you more money.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In HR, we talk about "churnover," which is the sum of both turnover (leaving the company) and internal transferring/job changes.

But back on topic, I was looking at cord-cutting for a few months. My kid did a lot of research before moving into her new digs, where they do not want to pay for cable. She found DirectTV's interface to be really poor, and their services were frequently down. She ended up with Hulu.

I was ready to cut the cable and do Hulu (plus a few add-ons), so we called our local money-fleecing cable company to cancel everything but internet. OMG, flashing red lights, panic city. Next thing I know we're talking to a supervisor who proceeds to cut the cost like a madman (or, to be precise, a madwoman). Outcome: our cable bill, for the exact same services, was reduced almost $150, locked in for 2 years (yes, it's a contract, but $200 to get out of it, so it's not insanity). Her advice after 2 years? "Call us back and we can find another deal for you."

WTF

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One thing I hadn't considered but that George K next door pointed out is that you have to be careful about exceeding your data limit on your internet plan when you start streaming all of your TV watching. Xfinity has a 1TB limit here, but if you watch HD or 4K stuff and the TV is on a lot of the time, you can churn through data pretty fast.

We've been successfully doing the re-negotiation thing with Xfinity for a years by going to one of their customer centers; I hear you can do even better if you call and threaten to cancel as you did.

Don't know if anyone's interested, but...

We dropped Xfinity Voice which we were using as a landline. We decided to give Xfinity Mobile a try; it's a relatively new service that they haven't advertised very much. You have to be an Xfinity internet subscriber.

We are very light cellular users, basically using very few minutes and never to access the internet. Would buy a bunch of minutes from Tracfone good for a year with a tiny bit of data to use in an emergency (if we couldn't connect to some wi-fi). Cost us less than $10 a month for the Tracfone cell phones, and that included the phone itself.

Mr WTG's Tracfone service was up. We ditched his phone and number, bought a cheapo Moto phone from Xfinity, and ported our home number to it. Unlimited talk and text (big improvement over Tracfone) plus 100 Mb data (about what we had from Tracfone) for the cost of taxes and fees which around here is $3.71 a month. Xfinity Voice (our former landline) was $10 a month, plus I needed a fancier modem to support it. Xfinity uses Verizon's network, and the phones come set up to automatically connect to Xfinity wi-fi hotspots which takes data usage way down, if you use the "smart" part of your smartphone, which we really don't.

If we go over the data limit, it's $10 per additional 1 GB, or $45 for unlimited. You switch plans whenever you want.

Bazootiehead-in-training