well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Good Witch‘s Awakening

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Good Witch‘s Awakening
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
I have recently finished watching the Good Witch series. Just to be clear, I am just sharing some observations, not making a recommendation.

The Good Witch started out as a made-for-TV movie, a very typical Hallmark channel production, with the protagonists living in some idyllic small town with very tame plot, nothing emotionally distressing. Then more of it got made into a TV series, a little under an hour per episode, with total of seven seasons that got made and released.

This is my observation:

Season 2: got through the whole season without seeing any person of color in the entire season, not even in the background; every one is white and straight

Season 3: low and behold, some persons of color started showing up in the background, but only in the background, no person of color plays any role that has any meaningful dialogue or has any material effect on the plot.

Season 4-6: starting to have some persons of color playing roles that have material effects on the plot, more and more of them as the series progressed.

Season 7: the cousin of the titular character got into a same-sex romantic relationship with a black woman spotting an afro. Not only that, there’s a flash back scene where the titular character was reminiscing about a party that supposedly took place two decades ago and, low and behold, she had plenty of black, brown, and Asian people in her party, in the same town that, as recently as Season 2, was entirely white!

Season 7 is the end of the series.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good Night

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post