well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Illegal microapartments in NYC

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illegal microapartments in NYC
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Two Manhattan landlords took an unusual — and illegal — route to double their rentable space: cutting their two condos in half horizontally so they could rent out 18 tiny apartments in their Lower East Side building, according to the New York City Department of Buildings.

"The ceiling heights were 4.5 feet to 6 feet tall on each level, depending on where you were standing," Department of Buildings spokesperson Abigail Kunitz said in an email to NPR.

quote:
The exterior of the condo building at 165 Henry St. in Manhattan's Lower East Side hints at the split-level apartments inside, as air conditioners (upper left) are positioned at both the upper and lower windows of the top two floors.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/20...ro-apartments-in-nyc

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

I am not generally claustrophobic, but I would be in a space like that! I couldn't live somewhere where I couldn't stand upright.

The point about having two exits, I wonder what the laws are in Japan such that capsule hotels are allowed. Because I know Japan has fairly strict fire codes, but I'm pretty sure those capsules only have one exit...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
"Underground"/illegal apartments and rooms aren't just an NYC problem, but that is pretty extreme.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
For such a small apartment, I wouldn't think exiting in a fire is a significantly higher risk. Given how small the apartment is, you'd get to the door pretty quickly, and you're advised to crawl to avoid the smoke anyway, right? I guess the question is whether, with a lower ceiling, the smoke would come down to the floor and increase the risk of smoke inhalation, even if you were crawling.

All of this is, of course, crazy speculation on my part.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Those have nothing on the Hong Kong cage apartments.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-rabbit-hutches.html

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Probably not the least bit unusual in NYC.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post