well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    my plans to move to Florida may be off.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my plans to move to Florida may be off.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted
The year was 1967. The group of us were meeting at Francis and Debbie’s house to discuss the upcoming production of “Curse You, Jack Dalton” by the Methodist youth fellowship. The first showing was right after the Sunday evening church potluck, so we’re expecting a VIP crowd.

The first order of business was casting. My brother was cast as the romantic lead/hero. The fair maiden in distress role went to Denise. I mean, obviously hubba hubba! Then we read the description of Eloise Dalton, the ugly sister of Jack. Tall, awkward, prim, and extremely silly looking. We all bit our tongues and desperately tried not to turn and look at Debbie, for whom this was a perfect description.

So I said, “I’ll play Eloise. “ I was 6‘3“ tall, 145 pounds, and as ruggedly handsome then as I am today. We were able to scare up giant girly clothes at thrift stores, but for feminine size 13 shoes, we needed to rig up something with ribbons and flip-flops as I recall.

no one was told of the casting, except for a few of us who would be backstage. The program read “Eloise Dalton, as herself.” My parents were in the audience, but did not know I would be in the play.

when I walked onto the stage in scene 2, holding the hand of the villain, Egbert Vanhorn, the play had to stop for about five minutes till the audience could get control of itself. I’m 71 years old, and this is still the biggest laugh I ever got in my life.
my opening line with something along the lines of, “Ah have always admired a man with a mustache.” the accent, I was using was something similar to if I had been saying, “ Ah have always relied on the kindness of strangers.”

so anyway, will I be allowed to go to Florida in the future?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
hysteric

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Of course you must avoid Florida.
In addition to your drag career you must consider your resemblance to Michelangelo's David. That could cause you a lot of trouble. People might lose their jobs for simply knowing who you are.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

In addition to your drag career you must consider your resemblance to Michelangelo's David. .

good point! You know me so well…

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hahaha! Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Hey, you got a laugh onstage. One up on me.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
An excellent story with a point well made. Big Grin

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
worthless

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
worthless

unfortunately, Daguerreotypes tend to fade over time if not carefully stored and protected. No surviving copies exist I fear.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No pictures, no worries. You can still move to Tallahassee. But why would you want to? Razzer

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post