well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got aging parents?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got aging parents?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My first clue was early on when I tried to teach Mom how to use a speaker phone. It seemed so simple: "Mom, just push this button (I put a sticky red dot on it) and say hello". She couldn't figure out a disembodied voice and would get up and start looking for the person. She just couldn't grasp the concept. She did manage to use the big button phone I got (like the one Cindy described). She couldn't dial a full phone number anymore and the speed dial on her cordless phone was too complicated for her. Mom's vision wasn't good, so photos weren't an option. I just put a big letter (the first initial for each person she might call) on each of the buttons. That she could deal with, but not the speaker phone.

I ended up becoming kind of a brain junkie, trying to figure out what actually might be going on in Mom's head and working within those limits. You're the analytical type and I'm sure you'll help your MIL and the rest of the family adapt as circumstances change. It's a challenging but rewarding task. Feel free to reach out if you need to bounce ideas around.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Mik, thanks for starting this thread. The photo/calling gizmo sounds like a good option.

This thread made me realize that Mom-in-law hasn’t called us in about a month. We’ve been calling her, but it’s not like her to not inititate calls to to tell us she’s received something we sent, or to complain that she’s bored, or just to say hi. There was a whole bunch of consulting this morning.

And then she called to wish us a happy new year! One positive step, at least.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Mik, if I’m reading this correctly, you can call Mom-in-law, but she can’t make a call from the frame to you? I guess she could let you know she wants to chat, somehow?

And I’m assuming it’s one caller at a time, no group calling?

Still, it looks like a great communication tool.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s correct. So far so good.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post