well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Summer of Warren

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Summer of Warren
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
A terrific article about retail politics.

quote:
“We’re going to take pictures,” Warren announced from the stage, shortly after invoking those trailblazers of yore. Here was a stealth weapon available to neither abolitionists nor suffragettes. “Someone will explain whether to go to that side or that side.”

For many of the hundreds of people who had turned out to hear Warren speak, this was the main event: a photo with the candidate. Quickly, a buzzing but orderly line began to snake across the gym, into the school’s hallway, and out the double doors into the street.

The selfie line has, by now, become a notorious feature of a Warren event—one that reflects the campaign’s savvy as well as the candidate's unique commitment and stamina: She stays as long as it takes to pose with every person who wants a picture. Sometimes the line is so long that this obligation requires hours of Warren’s time—as it did in Chicago in June, when over three thousand people took two and a half hours to shuffle through. “I don’t know how she does it after doing the speech and taking those questions, which is very hard,” said former Democratic Senate majority leader Harry Reid. “I’ve never known anyone to do that before. I know that when I finished my town halls, I just wanted to go home.”

Warren, however, told me that she finds the selfie line “energizing.” Earlier that day, as we chatted in her hotel, I asked her about these post-rally meet-and-greets. “The selfie line is the chance to have the direct touch,” she told me. “I get to hear from one person after another what they want me to hear. Anything! This is their chance, and they can tell me anything they want as they come through that selfie line. And it keeps me connected to people in a powerfully important way.”

https://www.gq.com/story/the-s...wpisrc=nl_thetrailer

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Smart. Especially at this stage of the race.

For most folks that will firmly cement a personal connection to the candidate, which will, as it is shared, draw in their friends.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Smart. Especially at this stage of the race.

For most folks that will firmly cement a personal connection to the candidate, which will, as it is shared, draw in their friends.

No kidding. I saw a tweet from a lawyer who took her adolescent daughter, and the adolescent daughter was star struck. The mother was deeply impressed with how Warren had treated her and how her daughter. That kind of thing has ripples through entire circles of contacts.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wish I liked Warren more.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I wish I liked her at all.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Can’t win.

Too bad she isn’t smart enough to stake out moderate positions.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
If she staked out more moderate positions, we'd run the risk of the Bernie crowd holding their breath and stamping their feet again on Election Day.

It's a crap dynamic. Move to the middle, lose the left. Move to the left, lose the middle.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
If it had been about political instincts, the story line could have been about Warren's summertime proposed legislation to strip soldiers of high government honors who killed American Indians.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post