well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    SCOTUS on Affirmative Action
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS on Affirmative Action
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Gen Z's parents: "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways!"

Asian Gen Z to their kids: "Whan I was a kid I had to fight to get into Harvard against pre-SFFA Affirmative Action!"

- - -

Existing Asian Ivy Leaguers to class of 2028+ Asian Ivy Leaguers: "I smarter than you; I got in pre-SFFA."

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
And in the "gee, no one saw this coming" category, a group of Harvard students have filed a complaint because Harvard favors economically advantage children of alumni during admissions.

I think the only entity against this is Harvard itself.

Students For Fair Admissions, the plaintiff that took on Harvard’s anti-Asian discrimination and won, actually suggested in the filing itself that Harvard could easily increase diversity by boosting admissions scores based on SES and eliminating faculty and legacy preferences altogether.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
And in the "gee, no one saw this coming" category, a group of Harvard students have filed a complaint because Harvard favors economically advantage children of alumni during admissions.

I think the only entity against this is Harvard itself.

Students For Fair Admissions, the plaintiff that took on Harvard’s anti-Asian discrimination and won, actually suggested in the filing itself that Harvard could easily increase diversity by boosting admissions scores based on SES and eliminating faculty and legacy preferences altogether.

Agreed. It doesn't solve all the injustice involved in higher education, but it's a big step forward--just as Affirmative Action for federal contractors doesn't solve all the issues involving protected classes an employment, but it is another step forward.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
He Worked for Years to Overturn Affirmative Action and Finally Won. He’s Not Done.

Edward Blum’s latest victory at the Supreme Court is the culmination of a long fight to take race out of college admissions. Is the workplace next?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0...ive-action-race.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
He does make some good points, but he lost me when he said he doesn't believe in systemic racism.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post