well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    SCOTUS on Affirmative Action
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS on Affirmative Action
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
So, how about that SCOTUS decision on using race as a factor for college/university admission?

https://supremecourt.gov/opini...pdf/20-1199_hgdj.pdf

quote:
Held: Harvard’s and UNC’s admissions programs violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Eliminating racial discrimination means eliminating all of it. Accordingly, the Court has held that the Equal Protection Clause applies “without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality” — it is “universal in [its] application.”

Thoughts?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s past due. It seems indefensible as implemented at Harvard. And some of the details that came out of discovery were atrocious (like emails making jokes about how many accomplishments an Asian kid would need in order to be admitted).

Shift to SES-based AA, it’ll keep the black and Hispanic numbers from collapsing and is morally defensible

Universities won’t though, I suspect, they’ll use other proxies for race and keep fighting court challenges with all the embarrassing discovery that entails.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
why can't they just make the applications completely color blind?

I personally find it offensive that someone might be more likely to hire me just because I'm female. My work and accomplishments stand on their own.

Also, even though Jews--an ethnic minority, and until recently considered a separate race--are a much smaller minority than most of the protected classes, they have never been offered protection through affirmative action. Gee, why is that? Because, as everyone knows, they already rule the world? Roll Eyes

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Shift to SES-based AA, it’ll keep the black and Hispanic numbers from collapsing and is morally defensible

What is SES-based AA?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There's an interesting development in the orchestra auditioning world.

About 20 years ago people were upset that orchestras weren't hiring enough minority and women players, and it was thought that the way to correct for that was to hide the performers behind a screen so the judges couldn't be prejudiced against the gender or race of the applicant.

It definitely helped women get hired for these positions; you can see that from the makeup of contemporary orchestras. But there's still a dearth of minority players.

So now the call is for getting rid of the screens so that if minority players apply, they will stand out and be favored in the cause of greater representation.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
seriously???? keep the screens! if the minority candidates are the best players, they will be hired.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

What is SES-based AA?

“Socio-economic status”

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
seriously???? keep the screens! if the minority candidates are the best players, they will be hired.

There may be some benefit to having minority players hired, such as encouraging minority students to take up an instrument, learn to play, join an ensemble.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

There may be some benefit to having minority players hired, such as encouraging minority students to take up an instrument, learn to play, join an ensemble.

J

save it for the amateur orchestras. when it comes to the new york philharmonic, or the berlin philharmonic, or the chicago symphony, i don't care what color the players are, so long as their performances are the finest it is possible to hear. if removing the screens means the best orchestras will not sound as good, i don't think anything has been achieved at all. there is nothing more inspiring for the taking up of an instrument than hearing a superb performance. you know, the fact that arthur rubinstein was an old white male or that glenn gould was a white guy with aspergers played zero role in inspiring me to take up the piano. it was their artistry that inspired me, not their race, color, age, gender, or sexual orientation.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the U California has been using SES in their admission algorithms.

Even if not, the vast majority of schools don't use race as a criteria for admission, so a lot of this is immaterial for the typical student going to a public school.

But apparently schools are still allowed to use other specific characteristics when making admissions decisions, like athletic ability, legacy status and the like. Just not race, because, well, beats me.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
But apparently schools are still allowed to use other specific characteristics when making admissions decisions, like athletic ability, legacy status and the like. Just not race, because, well, beats me.

The short, boring answer is “race was the only thing being litigated.” The longer answer has to do with the origin and history of the 14th amendment and the very crude invidious discrimination carried out by Harvard against Asians.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
New College had 2/500 Black students when I was there. Yes, I knew them both. I think it was shameful. I hope the College did better after I graduated.

Of course, DeSantis has ruined New College. I have no hope nor expectations for it going forward.

My Florida public high school was de facto segregated, as well.

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
And in the "gee, no one saw this coming" category, a group of Harvard students have filed a complaint because Harvard favors economically advantage children of alumni during admissions.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
And in the "gee, no one saw this coming" category, a group of Harvard students have filed a complaint because Harvard favors economically advantage children of alumni during admissions.

Hope to see more about this in the news.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25722 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Wealth redistribution … take from the families of the economically advantaged students, give to the economically disadvantaged students.

Some economist ought to do a paper on how many “rich legacy admits” it would take to subsidize one poor student in a scalable, sustainable manner.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post