well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A beautiful, broken America

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A beautiful, broken America
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
"Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us".

quote:
A beautiful, broken America: what I learned on a 2,800-mile bus ride from Detroit to LA

Gone are the small, clean, cheap motels and public spaces where anyone can find a place to nurse a cup of coffee. Yet the camaraderie of the Greyhound is hanging on

https://www.theguardian.com/tr...adtrip-greyhound-bus

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It was rather depressing until the last long paragraph. But the author nailed the feeling.

I’ve been on modern chartered buses that were very comfortable with big wraparound windows. I guess these haven’t made it into Greyhound’s fleet.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure why she decided to take a trip like this. She doesn’t seem to be particularly well suited for it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
She doesn’t seem to be particularly well suited for it.

ROTFLMAO

Although Steve's comment cracked me up, I do think there's a point to her article in that, these services seem to be getting worse.

I read the article and was surprised to hear the details about Greyhound. I used to take Greyhound a lot when I was in junior high and high school. There were proper bus stations with attendants, obviously schedules and tickets were on paper... But it functioned well.

Based on her description, I would not want to use Greyhound now....

During grad school, there was a regular shuttle bus between my uni and O'Hare airport. The buses were basically the size of Greyhounds, just run by a regional company, which the internet tells me still operates. Their buses were always very clean, always on time. And there were some bus stations with attendants (although at least one stop was at a convenience store)... It was a reliable and convenient way to get to and from the airport.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post