well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fertility clinics in some red states

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fertility clinics in some red states
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
A few states have trigger laws that come into effect when Roe is overturned.

In some states, MO is an example, life will be defined as beginning at conception.

Does this effectively criminalize IVF clinics? I think it would, at least as currently practiced.

What about frozen fertilized eggs in storage? I suppose they should be trying to get them out of state fast.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I truly hope that the consequences of these restrictions bite the GOP in the @ss. Women with ectopic pregnancies will die from massive hemorrhaging. Women will die because no hospital will permit an abortion to save the mother's life (like most RC hospitals at present, but now statewide). Women will be forced to carry their rapist's baby to term, with all the social, physical and emotional consequences that follow. Imagine the cynical use to which that could be put by Democratic politicians. What an interview that would make. Women with trisomy will be forced to carry babies to term, babies that die horribly within hours of birth....

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. And obviously I'm no lawyer but it seems like there's an opportunity to rattle some cages with the obvious fact that the full consequences of carrying the baby to term are landing 100% on the mother, with nothing for the father.

I'm not sure what the appropriate consequence would be in the worst-case scenarios, such as death during childbirth, but for things like rapists or just "the condom broke" pregnancies, there should be some penalty for the dad as well.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You ladies should have thought of that before taking on the larger gamete.

Leaving

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how MO and other states handle frozen embryos.

Do they have a right to a womb? In the case of a donated egg, whose womb do they hold the claim on?

Will the state seek volunteers, essentially put them up for adoption?