well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Inflation

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
In the past 60 days the price of #12 THHN solid electrical wire has doubled. Doubled Eeker

I've seen price fluctuations but never anything like this.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was walking through a big box hardware store looking for something I could use to make piano hinge pins.... I walked down the copper wire aisle to see all the spools behind lock and key in a cage!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked at the price of lumber, do you know if it has gone up or down since we finished re-doing our deck in the last two weeks?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There are so many random supply chain issues.

I took my car in yesterday for routine maintenance. It's now 15 years old, with ~ 160K and my view is that it will give me a sign when it's time to replace it. (KBB value is about $5K.) So I was chatting to the dudes at the dealership while waiting for it to be serviced. Their advice: if you need to buy a new car now or even in the next month, your safest bet is to just buy whatever they have on the lot that's closest to your needs, because they can't guarantee any new inventory.

It's a far cry from when I bought my Honda Odyssey in the early 2000s. Even though it was a "hot" car (they just remodeled it, or whatever you call it in car terms), the guy pulled out a big printout of Odysseys in the western USA and looked at my requirements (primarily color and automatic side door and of course AC), took out a big ruler and highlighted about 12 or so cars in the first minute that fit the bill. Then we just chose one that was cheap and the quickest to be delivered. I think we waited maybe a week?

Strange new world.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I haven't looked at the price of lumber, do you know if it has gone up or down since we finished re-doing our deck in the last two weeks?

Lumber prices have been falling.

https://markets.businessinside...nd-2021-6-1030556454

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lumber prices continue to drop.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lumber

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I was in a convenience store today. Standard bottled water was $2. That's double or more.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is good news for my neighbor who was all set to build his dream retirement home when lumber prices hit their peak. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Still a buck a gallon more than last year, but at least gasoline prices around here are ticking down recently.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/h...PM0_PTE_YORD_DPG&f=W

am thinking that last year's dip was partly due to lack of demand...people weren't traveling a whole lot...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post