well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The worst tragedy in classical music history
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The worst tragedy in classical music history
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Schubert dying at 31.

Talk me out of it. You automatically lose if the word "Mozart" appears in your answer.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So much ... unfinished.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
you won't find me arguing with that. i have gone through phases of deep love for many different composers over my life. the older i get, the more profoundly i love schubert's work. i've been listening to his octet since i was a kid (my dad played the clarinet part along with a recording by the Vienna Octet every night as I was falling asleep), but yesterday, driving home through utah and idaho, and then through southwest montana, i fell in love with it all over again and again.

so many different schubert works are among my favorites. i have a schubert-heavy cd holder in my car.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but Schubert accomplished a lot.

Dinu Lipatti died at 33 years old, I find his playing spellbinding, even though he was still maturing as a pianist.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Right up there with losing John Lennon!

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I am relieved.
Thought this thread was going to be in regard to some of the pieces I have murdered.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Of course someone might think of a composer who lived far too long and left us with too much lousy music. Equally tragic.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Mozart had a child like persona, interestingly enough, and died young.

Not that it matters. It seems he missed no opportunity from the beginning of his life to the end.

Someone would choose him?

Well, probably not on this forum.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Of course someone might think of a composer who lived far too long and left us with too much lousy music. Equally tragic.

Well, Salieri was one of Schubert's composition professors ...

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, Salieri was one of Schubert's composition professors ...

Some professors teach us what to do, others...

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Actually I wasn’t thinking of Salieri or anyone in particular.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Actually I wasn’t thinking of Salieri or anyone in particular.

I didn't presume you were. This just seems like another case where the student far exceeds the intellectual horizons of the teacher. I haven't a clue what Schubert learned from Salieri, or if Salieri was a better teacher than composer. But Schubert's music pushed the classical envelope far more than the stodgy and conventional work produced by his teacher.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
There are no reply buttons on posts.

Anyway, replying to Daniel, I love Mozart. So did Schubert. In fact he was infatuated with him.

“O Mozart! Immortal Mozart! What countless impressions of a brighter, better life hast thou stamped upon our souls!” Schubert wrote in his diary.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
There are no reply buttons on posts.

The functions are still there but the icons can't be seen. This post/thread may help:

https://well-temperedforum.gro...553916897#3553916897

Sorry for the problem.

eta: Here's a pic of what happens when I hover my cursor over the area where the icon should be:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
On my Apple devices I can see all the icons.