well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The worst tragedy in classical music history

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/8743936897

17 October 2023, 09:20 PM
jon-nyc
The worst tragedy in classical music history
Schubert dying at 31.

Talk me out of it. You automatically lose if the word "Mozart" appears in your answer.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

17 October 2023, 09:48 PM
Piano*Dad
So much ... unfinished.
17 October 2023, 11:14 PM
piqué
you won't find me arguing with that. i have gone through phases of deep love for many different composers over my life. the older i get, the more profoundly i love schubert's work. i've been listening to his octet since i was a kid (my dad played the clarinet part along with a recording by the Vienna Octet every night as I was falling asleep), but yesterday, driving home through utah and idaho, and then through southwest montana, i fell in love with it all over again and again.

so many different schubert works are among my favorites. i have a schubert-heavy cd holder in my car.

fear is the thief of dreams

18 October 2023, 04:34 AM
AD
Maybe, but Schubert accomplished a lot.

Dinu Lipatti died at 33 years old, I find his playing spellbinding, even though he was still maturing as a pianist.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

18 October 2023, 09:00 AM
Jack Frost
Right up there with losing John Lennon!

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

18 October 2023, 10:20 AM
CHAS
I am relieved.
Thought this thread was going to be in regard to some of the pieces I have murdered.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

18 October 2023, 10:24 AM
RealPlayer
Of course someone might think of a composer who lived far too long and left us with too much lousy music. Equally tragic.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

18 October 2023, 12:19 PM
Daniel
Mozart had a child like persona, interestingly enough, and died young.

Not that it matters. It seems he missed no opportunity from the beginning of his life to the end.

Someone would choose him?

Well, probably not on this forum.
18 October 2023, 12:21 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Of course someone might think of a composer who lived far too long and left us with too much lousy music. Equally tragic.

Well, Salieri was one of Schubert's composition professors ...
18 October 2023, 06:27 PM
CHAS
quote:
Well, Salieri was one of Schubert's composition professors ...

Some professors teach us what to do, others...

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

18 October 2023, 06:59 PM
RealPlayer
Actually I wasn’t thinking of Salieri or anyone in particular.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

18 October 2023, 09:31 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Actually I wasn’t thinking of Salieri or anyone in particular.

I didn't presume you were. This just seems like another case where the student far exceeds the intellectual horizons of the teacher. I haven't a clue what Schubert learned from Salieri, or if Salieri was a better teacher than composer. But Schubert's music pushed the classical envelope far more than the stodgy and conventional work produced by his teacher.
19 October 2023, 11:34 AM
Bernard
There are no reply buttons on posts.

Anyway, replying to Daniel, I love Mozart. So did Schubert. In fact he was infatuated with him.

“O Mozart! Immortal Mozart! What countless impressions of a brighter, better life hast thou stamped upon our souls!” Schubert wrote in his diary.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

19 October 2023, 11:48 AM
wtg
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
There are no reply buttons on posts.

The functions are still there but the icons can't be seen. This post/thread may help:

https://well-temperedforum.gro...553916897#3553916897

Sorry for the problem.

eta: Here's a pic of what happens when I hover my cursor over the area where the icon should be:

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

19 October 2023, 12:42 PM
RealPlayer
On my Apple devices I can see all the icons.