well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It isn't over; the end isn't in sight

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It isn't over; the end isn't in sight
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted

Posts: 24791 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but it is over.

COVID will always be with us.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty much over to me.

Hospitals are no longer overwhelmed, there are treatments, imperfect though they may be.

I foresee getting a vax every year and I’m OK with it.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We were considering buying a replacement batch of FFP2 masks yesterday, quite quickly deciding not to.
It's over except for testing before visiting vulnerable or aged relatives & friends.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 387 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The vaccines and boosters don't have good efficacy or durability.

The new boosters weren't tested on humans because "we don't have time" (CDC director).

How many people contract Covid on a daily basis? I read about it here. I see it "IRL." I read the data.

How many people have long Covid?

"It's over" and "it's always going to be here" don't sound the same to me especially about a disease that's so poorly understood and about vaccines the side effects of which are so poorly understood (or not understood at all).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Deaths are still in the 400-500 per day range. That's the vulnerable, and maybe the unvaccinated. But it ain't over.

Posts: 45768 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Deaths are still in the 400-500 per day range. That's the vulnerable, and maybe the unvaccinated. But it ain't over.

Where are we in terms of death rates for Covid vs. the flu?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Where are we in terms of death rates for Covid vs. the flu?

That's a difficult measurement problem, and like everything else these days, easily politicized. Credible epidemiologists argue on both sides of the issue.

Debating the Way Deaths are Counted

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I think this is primarily a problem of semantics.

Based on everything I'm reading, I think it's probably appropriate to say that the pandemic is over. That does not mean "there's no more covid," but I think that's the response of many people when they hear "the pandemic is over." Many people don't understand what it means for covid to become endemic... or maybe it's more accurate to say, many people don't care about this distinction and are only interested in on/off thinking.

Covid is mostly certainly here to stay, and how any of us deals with that is really dependent on our individual perspectives.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be contrary but it meets the definition of-- "pandemic."

On the other hand, it's necessarily politicized when a politician says-- "the pandemic is over" and such a statement certainly represents a binary thought process.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not a pandemic because it isn't a new disease without treatments anymore.

This may have more specific information about the semantics:

https://www.publichealth.colum...what-are-differences

"pandemic when a disease’s growth is exponential"

We are averaging 400-500 reported new positives daily in Chicago, but that number has remained pretty stable over the past 4-5 months... Hospital and death rates remain low.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language--

en·dem·ic (ĕn-dĕmĭk)
Share:
adj.
1. Prevalent in a particular locality, region, or population: endemic diseases of the tropics.
2. Native only to a particular locality or region: endemic birds.
3. Common in or inherent to an enterprise or situation: "All the difficulties endemic to historical research become more acute in the case of war" (Constantine Pleshakov).
n.
1. An organism that is native only to a particular locality or region.
2. A disease that is prevalent in a particular locality, region, or population.
[From Greek endēmos, native, endemic : en-, in; see EN-2 + dēmos, people; see dā- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

pan·dem·ic (păn-dĕmĭk)
Share:
adj.
1. Widespread; general.
2. Medicine Epidemic over a wide geographic area and affecting a large proportion of the population: pandemic influenza.
n.
A pandemic disease.
[From Late Latin pandēmus, from Greek pandēmos, of all the people : pan-, pan- + dēmos, people; see dā- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

QED

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
No desire to litigate labels but for my part I’ve been treating it as here to stay, but far less of a threat, for a good six months now.

So I’m back to living my life as I normally would, albeit with some risk measures in place (eg masks).

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33803 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I think it's here to stay. I continue to try to mitigate risk. I wear masks. I try to stay away from crowds. I still don't go to restaurants.

I think my third vaccination damaged my health so I'm not getting the latest one.

I think we each have to make our own health care decisions. I don't think it could or should be otherwise.

I don't think Covid is under control in the way AIDS is though.

Will it be in our lifetimes? I doubt it but that's just me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post