well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Air conditioner for small window?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air conditioner for small window?
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
We’ve never had air conditioning but maybe we’re getting soft and now would like it at least at night. We are generally content with fans.

It’s a small (175 sq. ft. or less) room with really small windows —- 20 in. wide on the inside and even smaller, about 16 in., at the storm window frame. That’s too small for even the smallest window units we’ve found.

There are portable units but I hear they are noisy and inefficient and expensive.

Would a dehumidifier do any good as a substitute?

The ideal option, I suppose, is moving the bed to the adjacent computer room which has a larger window. Just for the summer. And installing a heavier-duty electrical outlet for the AC.

Any ideas welcome!

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had a 70 pt dehumidifier in the crawl space of our two story, 1700 sq ft vacation home. The home was well-insulated, and we found that when we got up there the house would be totally comfortable even in the hottest weather.

The kicker was that the house was all sealed up, with window blinds closed to keep light out, and windows closed and locked tight. With us going in and out of doors the temp would go up some in the house but was still more than tolerable. We would keep the blinds on the sunny side of the house tilted upwards so we got a little light but not sunlight streaming in to heat things up.

Our dehumidifier didn't need to be emptied because it drained into a sump pit and got pumped out automatically. Any A/C type of unit needs to have the condensate drain somewhere. If it's a dehumidifier, you'll have to empty the bucket when it fills.

And as far as noise is concerned..if the unit is in the room with you, you'll hear the sound of the compressor and the fan.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would a dehumidifier do any good as a substitute?

I don't think this will be the solution you're looking for. If the dehumidifier is in the room where you are, it actually will generate some heat. I have some free standing dehumidifiers that I've used in my piano room in the past, and they do bring up the temperature, although making it more comfortable by bringing down the humidity. Also, as WTG said, they're generally very noisy. I dislike being in the same room with them, and I tried very hard to buy a quiet one. I just don't think they exist.

Could you get a mini split? These are called "split" because there's a unit outside, which keeps the noise outside.

Steve mentions these a lot, but I'm familiar with them bc they are standard in Japan. They're super quiet and work very well, esp. for small rooms.

Check Mitsubishi, which sells them in the US.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Mini splits work well but you need to have a place to put the compressor outside. Around here it seems like almost all the new builds are going with a mini-split or splits. We don't get the super-hot temperatures very often, though. But my daughter said her units worked well here in PDX when we had a yucky spell of 110+ about two years ago.

They're not cheap, but I think it's something that would increase the value of your house.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of experience living in hot climates (and NYC is hot in the summer).

My vote would be to make the temporary change and buy an actual window unit.

SK wrote, "Check Mitsubishi..."

Premium type of AC. I wouldn't say no to it.

Posts: 24731 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Look into “casement” window, air conditioners. I think one of those might fit.

If that doesn’t work, I’d look at having a hole cut in the bedroom wall and a through the wall unit installed. I have had them in several houses and they work out just fine.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mini-splits are the way to go, but they are not cheap. Figure 10x or more the price of a window unit, maybe more depending on the necessary electrical work.

I knew someone who had a portable, standalone unit that vented out a window. They cut a sheet of insulation to fit the opening of the window, and then punched a hole through that for the large-diameter tube that vents the standalone unit.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Our son uses one of those roll-around portable units vented out through a window in the apartment. Works well for him!

https://www.thespruce.com/best...conditioners-4164001

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Mini-splits are the way to go, but they are not cheap. Figure 10x or more the price of a window unit, maybe more depending on the necessary electrical work.

I knew someone who had a portable, standalone unit that vented out a window. They cut a sheet of insulation to fit the opening of the window, and then punched a hole through that for the large-diameter tube that vents the standalone unit.

Wow. I didn't know they were that much.

I've known people in HI who had them but nobody on the mainland.

Posts: 24731 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Look into “casement” window, air conditioners. I think one of those might fit.

If that doesn’t work, I’d look at having a hole cut in the bedroom wall and a through the wall unit installed. I have had them in several houses and they work out just fine.

When we lived in Queens, we had one of these through the wall in our downstairs living room. I was a soft girl from the Pacific Northwet, unused to east coast heat/humidity. That unit saved me! Probably cheaper than a mini split?

We had window units in the upstairs bedrooms, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have two LG units that roll on the floor. A hose goes to the window where I put a sheet of wood I cut to fit. The adapter that came on the end of the hose is not large enough for the full height of the window opening. Both are good.
Have a Honeywell unit that is the size of both of the LG units and half as good as one of them. It also uses a hose to the window/

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have two LG units that roll on the floor. A hose goes to the window where I put a sheet of wood I cut to fit. The adapter that came on the end of the hose is not large enough for the full height of the window opening. Both are good.
Have a Honeywell unit that is the size of both of the LG units and half as good as one of them. It also uses a hose to the window/

The two hose versions of those units work better than the single hose variety. Neither work as well as a regular window unit but they do work and they're quite a bit quieter.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your responses! I measured the vertical window space and even the smallest vertical (casement) unit would not fit.

Looks like we’ll be looking at those portable units with the hoses. I realize they’re less efficient but should do the job, especially since it’s a small room. Good to know two hoses are better than one (hope two will fit).

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You’re going to have to figure out how to deal with the condensate water. Those rolling units come with a garden hose fitting that either has to drain to a pan or be run outside.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Would those rolling units work in a garage that didn't have AC? (as long as the drainage was arranged for)

What are they called? or does someone have a link?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post