well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anybody ever consider donating their remains to science?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody ever consider donating their remains to science?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I've always been a person who thinks that money spent on funerals is money wasted. I want every penny of whatever I leave to give pleasure or opportunity to people I care about. I always figured I would opt for low-budget cremation.

Lately, I've been mulling the idea of donating my body to science. It's not entirely for the savings (although my brother-in-law's recent cremation was $2800 for the most basic of services).

It's also that very, very few black people donate their bodies to science. I don't know what difference it makes to medical students, but it bothers me on some level that medical science at that stage shuts black people out because we shut ourselves out and don't trust the process. Sure, I'm an organ donor, which is something, I guess.

Every time I get close to making the decision to leave my body to science, though, some awful story surfaces about someone misusing cadavers. The last one I saw involved people selling the opportunity to dissect a cadaver (or watch one being dissected?) for profit.

What are you all doing with your earthly form when you no longer need it?

Cindy

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
My dad donated his body about a decade ago. We both agreed that was a good idea and plan to do the same.

If I remember right, it took about a year before my mom got the cremains delivered.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i suppose if i had a disease that needed to be studied, it would make sense to donate my body to science. but otherwise i'm not sure that's the best idea. who knows how your body will actually end up being used.

i would love to be carried into the mountains (if I'm not there already) and be left for the wildlife. Or if that wasn't feasible, I'd like to be buried in a wild place--no casket, just directly into the ground where I can become a part of the biota.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
i suppose if i had a disease that needed to be studied, it would make sense to donate my body to science. but otherwise i'm not sure that's the best idea. who knows how your body will actually end up being used.

I think the answer is ‘cadaver for medical students’. Which is a contribution to medicine, though probably not what most people have in mind when they donate their bodies.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I would happily donate my body to science and really couldn’t care less about what happens to it.

Cindy, your point about Black bodies not being used in medical schools is a good one. I recall seeing a news article about a young medical student doing medical illustrations of Black bodies and how it was a whole new thing. I did a quick search and found this story (though it’s not the one I had originally read): https://www.nbcnews.com/news/n...dical-field-rcna8277

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I think the answer is ‘cadaver for medical students’. Which is a contribution to medicine, though probably not what most people have in mind when they donate their bodies.

That's exactly what we had in mind... Dad was a science teacher and mom was a chem major. Teaching runs strong in our family!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Expect to make plans for cremation.
Want the ashes spread from near the top of my favorite chairlift.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25718 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I rather like the idea of being planted to feed a tree. Much nicer than a cold piece of granite, and it will last as long as anyone actually remembers me. Like Pique, the idea of being returned to the earth makes sense to me. Not taking up space that can never be used again.

Got the idea originally from Speaker For The Dead in the Ender's Game series. The trees their bodies became were revered.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never really thought about it. The idea of being donated to a medical school just so some 1st year student can dissect it has little appeal (though I know someone has to do it).

I tend to sign up for any sort of research project available, so I feel like my karma is good on this. I wonder how many people have a strong religious reason to keep their bodies intact? As I'm typing this, I'm unaware of any major religion that discourages organ donation, so I assume donating your entire body is also A-OK.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:As I'm typing this, I'm unaware of any major religion that discourages organ donation, so I assume donating your entire body is also A-OK.

Hasidic (at least many of them) and perhaps some other flavors of Jews consider it to be contrary to Jewish burial law.

Think of those sects that send teams out to accident scenes with tweezers to collect tissue fragments. They aren’t donating organs.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I know there was a Catholic member of the family that was strongly against Dad's cremation.

Mom's pastor quipped to her, "I guess they don't think God can put all the pieces back together"!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I know there was a Catholic member of the family that was strongly against Dad's cremation.

Mom's pastor quipped to her, "I guess they don't think God can put all the pieces back together"!

That is a good one. ThumbsUp

Posts: 25718 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
My mom had setup to have her body donated to science, but in the end they declined to take her. I don't remember at all why they declined though.

As for me, when I'm gone anyone is welcome to do anything with me. Pretty sure I won't object. Wink

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:As I'm typing this, I'm unaware of any major religion that discourages organ donation, so I assume donating your entire body is also A-OK.

Hasidic (at least many of them) and perhaps some other flavors of Jews consider it to be contrary to Jewish burial law.

Think of those sects that send teams out to accident scenes with tweezers to collect tissue fragments. They aren’t donating organs.

I know cremation, embalming, and autopsy are violations of Jewish law (or so I hear, I'm no authority), so it would make sense that any kind of dismemberment would be also against Jewish law.

Observant Jews are buried in plain pine boxes with the idea that their remains will become a part of the earth.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like the pine box with a tree planted over it.