well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sous Vide peeps!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide peeps!
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
Time and temp for cod?

I am struggling with getting fish done correctly lately. I usually set the temp to 135f for fish but it seems to not be as flaky and tender as we prefer. Kind of rubbery actually. I have tried 140 in the past but really can't remember if it was better. It was quite a while ago that we did cod.

I am a little reluctant to go below 135f for fear of not cooking it enough to be safe.

Doing some cod tonight and don't want a rubbery texture.

We usually cook it for an hour. Too long?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No first hand experience cooking fish so can't help you there.

When I went on an internet search I found a bunch of people who complained about cod being rubbery...

Recipes seemed to call for temps in the low 130s and cook times from 30 to 45 minutes.

https://recipes.anovaculinary....-caper-sous-vide-cod

https://recipes.anovaculinary..../sous-vide-lemon-cod

https://sousvideguy.com/recipe/sous-vide-cod/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thanks wtg.

I read those as well.

I will try 132f for 45minutes tonight. If I feel it's not done enough, I will sear them in a hot pan.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a good compromise!

I love fish but don't have a whole lot of experience cooking it at home beyond throwing salmon in the oven.

A friend who loves to serve fish likes to prepare it on the less done side, which I don't find appetizing. Funny, because I do like sushi. But underdone fish....no, thanks...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve never done fish sous vide so I’m not going to be any help.

Once you figure it out I hope you’ll post your findings. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Well, that was disappointing. Again.

Maybe it's the Cod? Rubbery. 132f for 45 minutes. Didn't seem like it was done. Tossed it in a hot peanut oil pan for a few minutes. Still not right.

I think we will not be doing fish in the Sous Vide again. The last time we did salmon, they same thing happened. The first few time we did Salmon it was awesome.

Maybe we just got some not so great fish the last couple of times.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

I've had the rubbery fish problem with walleye. I absolutely love it when I have it in a restaurant but it's always a disaster at home no matter how I try to prepare it.

I've given up.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread would be about Peeps, the candy, in sous vide. I remember Peep Jousting in the microwave when the kids were little. (Give each Peep a toothpick “lance.” Put them in the microwave for one minute, and watch the show through the window…)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I gave up on sous vide fish after the first attempt. It’s just too easy to make well on the stove/oven.

Not a fan of sous vide chicken either. For me it’s just how I cook steaks.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised you don’t use it for chicken. I find it’s the only to make boneless/skinless chicken breasts in to something edible.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post