well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Will there be a way to escape hidden cameras in the future?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will there be a way to escape hidden cameras in the future?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
... Accidentally deleted, sorry.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mom always told us to wear clean underwear in case we were in an accident or something.

Now I suppose Moms tell their kids to keep their hair combed for when they’re caught on camera. Blink

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The privacy ship sailed a long time ago.

You can walk but you can't hide. I walk most days and have wondered how well someone could reconstruct my route based on the Ring doorbell cams along my route. I'm guessing they pretty much capture every step I take.

Two of my neighbors have cameras that capture accidents that happen at a nearby two-way intersection . People run that stop sign all the time.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There shouldn’t be cameras where there is an expectation of privacy. Streets, stores, public buildings, OK.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We were told about wearing clean underwear in case we were in an accident.

I guess this was a thing for a couple generations.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

My guess is, they've seen worse than dirty underwear in the emergency rooms. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

My guess is, they've seen worse than dirty underwear in the emergency rooms. Big Grin

Yeah? Try telling my Mom that!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
There shouldn’t be cameras where there is an expectation of privacy. Streets, stores, public buildings, OK.

The standard is a reasonable expectation of privacy (so the standard is the objective reasonable person, not the subjective standard of how each person feels), and there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in public places. That’s why it’s ok to have cameras that record streets, in stores, etc.

Changing that would basically require a change in the law, which is not likely to happen, as both governments and businesses have an interest in use of monitoring cameras. As do regular people, by the way. Think of all the dashboard cameras and Ring doorbells … think of all the people who use their phones to record misbehavior by citizens and police. Do you really want to tell all those people that they cannot record on their devices? Imagine how popular that would be. Many racist Karen’s would have gotten off scot free if there hadn’t been video of their behavior.

And these cameras may or may not be hidden … so whether they are hidden or not is probably the wrong standard.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

The standard is a reasonable expectation of privacy (so the standard is the objective reasonable person, not the subjective standard of how each person feels), and there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in public places. That’s why it’s ok to have cameras that record streets, in stores, etc.

Changing that would basically require a change in the law, which is not likely to happen, as both governments and businesses have an interest in use of monitoring cameras. As do regular people, by the way. Think of all the dashboard cameras and Ring doorbells … think of all the people who use their phones to record misbehavior by citizens and police. Do you really want to tell all those people that they cannot record on their devices? Imagine how popular that would be. Many racist Karen’s would have gotten off scot free if there hadn’t been video of their behavior.

And these cameras may or may not be hidden … so whether they are hidden or not is probably the wrong standard.

Ok, but what about our phones' and computers' cameras' abilities to film us anywhere we use our 'devices' including in our homes?

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
We are in a world where every one carries multiple cameras (and microphones) with them at every waking moment. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post