well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Train stations around the world

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train stations around the world
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The 37 Most Beautiful Train Stations in the World

https://www.architecturaldiges...chitecture-slideshow

OK, world-traveler-jon-nyc....how many of these have you seen in person?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sarah Blueparrot from Piano World went to Uzbekistan. She posted pictures of some really beautiful train stations.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13536 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that travelogue. I love railroads and things associated with them. These stations are true temples of travel.

It's unfortunate that one of our grandest stations vanished in the course of the downfall of the Pennsylvania Railroad - Penn Station in NYC.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7393 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's still there, Big Al.

https://www.nycgo.com/transportation/penn-station

I don't know what shape it's in.

I felt it had a cold feeling when I had to go there. I tried to get where I was going fast when I had to use it.

Posts: 24681 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Grand Central Station and Union Terminal are my favorites.

Thanks, wtg.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
It's still there, Big Al.

https://www.nycgo.com/transportation/penn-station

I don't know what shape it's in.

I felt it had a cold feeling when I had to go there. I tried to get where I was going fast when I had to use it.

Only the underground portion of the original Penn Station still exists. The original Penn Station was demolished to gain air rights for Madison Square Garden. From the wiki:
quote:
The current facility is the remodeled underground remnant of the original Pennsylvania Station, a more ornate station building designed by McKim, Mead, and White and considered a masterpiece of the Beaux-Arts style. Completed in 1910, it enabled direct rail access to New York City from the south for the first time. Its head house was torn down in 1963, galvanizing the modern historic preservation movement. The rest of the station was rebuilt in the following six years, while retaining most of the rail infrastructure from the original station.
The Moynihan Train Hall was recently added by a mixed-use redevelopment of the adjacent Farley Post Office building.

It's not unlikely that the uproar which attended the destruction of the original Penn Station structure played a role in galvanizing historic preservation that may have saved Grand Central from a similar fate as both stations ended up part of the Penn Central bankruptcy.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7393 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Everyone in New York hates the current Penn Station (except for the Moynihan train hall. Here is one design being considered for a new station. Madison Square Garden is still part of it.

Tried to post images here but it didn’t work. Here’s the NYTimes article with two renderings if you can access.

Plan B for Penn Station

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13796 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, both!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The TGV station in Avignon, France looks great.
I spent several hours there on a hot day sitting on the hard floor or standing outside. There were no seats or A/C, but it looks great.
Avignon

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25697 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post