well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lionfish

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lionfish
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Killing Invasive Species Is Now a Competitive Sport

In the Panhandle, where swarms of lionfish gobble up native species, a tournament offers cash prizes to divers skilled at spearing one predator after another.

https://www.newyorker.com/maga...-a-competitive-sport

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there was a campaign on to get people to eat them so they'd get fished down. Not sure what became of that.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Heere are some favorite recipes!

https://lionfish.co/category/recipes/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We should put that link in the "recipes" thread. Neener

Granted I'm in the Midwest, so we aren't exactly the first place people go for fresh fish unless it's from the Great Lakes. But we do have a pretty amazing fish market here, and I don't see lionfish on their list of offerings.

http://www.bostonfishmkt.com/our-seafood/

Have you ever tried it, Mik?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have eaten lion fish on Bonaire, where they are a real threat to the reef environment. Locals spear 'em and bring them to restaurants.

Here's a fave food truck with kick-ass lion fish sandwiches.

Cactus Blue

Gotta get there early or they run out of lion fish! Fun to sit out in front of the place under the trees by the beach and watch Kralendijk harbor while offering tidbits to the very aggressively friendly Blau Blau lizards. They're real moochers for burgers, fries, lion fish ... whatever you've got.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
First saw Lionfish in an aquarium shop in Kansas City years ago.
Now I want to eat one.
Have been going to the Panhandle of Florida since I was a teenager.
Will have to go back.

Established in 1559 by Don Tristan de Luna and Spanish settlers, Pensacola is America's First Settlement. Pensacola is proud of its rich heritage and significant place in America's history.

P'cola gets no respect as an early settlement because:
1. The settlers did not speak English
2.The occupation was interrupted when hurricanes caused the settlers to leave.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post