well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID vaccines - up to date, or not?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID vaccines - up to date, or not?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Interesting discussion about a Cleveland Clinic study.

quote:
Numerous studies have found that additional COVID-19 shots are generally associated with extra protection against the coronavirus. Many people on social media, however, have shared a preliminary finding from a Cleveland Clinic study and misrepresented it as proving that getting more doses increases a person’s risk of infection.

https://www.factcheck.org/2023...rease-covid-19-risk/

The study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten....23290893v1.full.pdf

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We just got our booster a week ago in preparation for our river cruise in a couple weeks. It was Rob’s 4th shot and my 5th.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Last week the “adcomm” met at FDA to finalize the recommendations for which strains will be included in this years “Covid shot”.

IOW, it will be on an annual cycle like the flu from now on.

I’ll wait for that update, since my natural immunity should carry me until then.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Interesting discussion about a Cleveland Clinic study.

quote:
Numerous studies have found that additional COVID-19 shots are generally associated with extra protection against the coronavirus. Many people on social media, however, have shared a preliminary finding from a Cleveland Clinic study and misrepresented it as proving that getting more doses increases a person’s risk of infection.

https://www.factcheck.org/2023...rease-covid-19-risk/

The study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten....23290893v1.full.pdf

"Many people on social media."-- what does this even mean?

It's a straw man argument, anyway.

I'm tired of the lies and manipulation surrounding these vaccines.

I'm very tired of being told what to think and what not to think about this disease.

The First Amendment and informed consent have been and are being abrogated as neither is consistent with totalitarianism.

I'm not taking any more mRNA vaccinations.

I regret taking any in the first place.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any idea what you mean about the First Amendment. The First Amendment only applies to governmental action. Neither Twitter nor Facebook, nor any private actor for that matter, is a governmental actor. Their actions may be (pick your favorite negative adjective), but they are are not covered by the First Amendment. I am unaware of any governmental action restricting speech about COVID.

As far as vaccines go, now that we are out of the pandemic phase, I think you should be able to do as you wish. Your actions can no longer place those around you (except perhaps those who are immuno-compromised) at mortal risk.

But, if there’s a vaccine available and if medical professionals I trust say that the vaccine does more good than harm, I’ll be getting it.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I don’t have any idea what you mean about the First Amendment. The First Amendment only applies to governmental action. Neither Twitter nor Facebook, nor any private actor for that matter, is a governmental actor. Their actions may be (pick your favorite negative adjective), but they are are not covered by the First Amendment. I am unaware of any governmental action restricting speech about COVID.

Governmental actor involved in censorship about COVID--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ion_Governance_Board

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And exactly what, if anything, has that Board censored? Combating misinformation could involve disseminating accurate information. For example, information than mRNA vaccines work and are safe.

Are there specific censorship decisions that occurred? If there were, I’d imagine the ACLU would be all over it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’ve been waiting for a customer in India to propose dates for me to go teach a class there. I’ve been putting off getting another booster until I have a date set. I’ve been waiting since February. I’ll probably just go get one. I hope it will protect me against whatever variants are floating around when I finally hit the road.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Are you the horse in this metaphor?

I'm still waiting for you to tell us what, if anything, that Board censored. Or, otherwise, why you think the First Amendment is implicated.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I proved my point. It's not my fault if you can't bring yourself to accept it.

Do you think the social media companies you yourself mentioned were doing what this Board was promoting a) as a coincidence and b) out of the goodness of their hearts?

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I proved my point. It's not my fault if you can't bring yourself to accept it.

In your own mind, maybe. To me, all you did was vent a bunch of assertions.

Posts: 12546 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comment.

You too are welcome to answer my second paragraph.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Thank you for your comment.

You too are welcome to answer my second paragraph.

You’re asking for proof of a corporate entity’s intent. Your guess about that is as good as … your guess about that.

However, you haven’t demonstrated that the board censored anything itself, so you’re left asserting that the board leaned on a social media platform to do the board’s censorship for it, even though you lack any evidence that pressure was put on multi-billion dollar companies sufficient to get them to do the board’s dirty work. Or that the board had sufficient power to exert that sort of pressure.