well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rejecting throwaway culture

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rejecting throwaway culture
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The combination of enthusiastic amateurs, repair cafes and new laws could help tackle the world's growing mountains of broken electronics.

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just re-read "Future Shock" on Chas' recommendation.

Toffler talks about this at length, and while I applaud the idea I think it's going to be tough to change things much.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
As the link states, this is very much a universal first world problem (in its origin). I'd welcome a reality check from SK, but I seem to recall reading that the Japanese very much prefer new electronics including appliances, to the point where they dump their old ones (often only lightly used) in the Tokyo Harbor.

Also, that the less affluent Westerners living in Tokyo take advantage of this, by rescuing such rejects and rehoming them. That it's a major way for them to make ends meet in that expensive city.

Secondary point too - if it's still true ( and if indeed it ever was) - that the otherwise very frugal Japanese also dump shipping containers. That these containers are actually often made of mahogany. Of a cheap variety but mahogany and other S. American woods, nonetheless. Kind of a shocker, and if memory serves, a major PR movement was already initiated to awaken Japanese consumers to this great wastage of both electronics and wood. (Perhaps it's already taken effect.

Anyhow, if there's truth to all this about Japan, it certainly goes to show that in this regard at least, Americans are far from being the worst sinners in generating electronic (and other) waste.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
But what about the effect on the economy?

Wouldn't the effectiveness of this recycling/refurbishing of electronics have a dramatic negative effect on the grow-grow-grow economy? It took me a long time to gather that economic growth depends on constant spending, much of which is a function of replacing (almost) perfectly good stuff.

That is, either because it's slightly frayed or because brighter, shinier versions of appliances, technological products and even changing styles in clothing are being sold to an eager shopping public.

What else is advertising designed to promote?
And what if both advertising and largely superfluous purchases stopped?

Don't know why this clearcut consequence isn't figured in such Green movements.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
At long last maybe I can get my wonderful old Seiko metronome fixed. Smiler

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve is the constant harangue that you MUST upgrade to the very latest phone, as soon as it becomes available. It's just freaking nuts.

The very same technology that people stood in line for 12 months ago is now so disgusting that you can't wait to get rid of it? How many of those "obsolete" phones are now just sitting in a drawer somewhere? How many of us even begin to use all the features on our phones?

How many of these upgrades are just to the camera (and how many of those cameras are being used to take photos of food, but that's another story....)

OK, off my soapbox

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
At long last maybe I can get my wonderful old Seiko metronome fixed. Smiler
Speaking of which ... I miss my old, totally analog, physical pendulum type metronome very much. I later acquired a Seiko and it works fine, just not as stately as the old physical pendulum type. Then came the iPhone. I downloaded a couple of metronome apps and I figure I will never have to buy another discrete metronome just like I will never have to buy another discrete GPS navigator again.

The metronome app I use these days is called “MetroTimer”. One nice thing about it is that I can tap the beats at the speed I want and it will display the beats-per-minute measurement based on my last few taps. It’s a very useful function to figure out what metronome markings to put down on a new piece of music. No way the old pendulum type metronome can do that; heck, even the Seiko cannot do that.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I understand your love for the old analog metronome. My Seiko was more than a metronome, a “rhythm trainer” with accents and different tones. Of course the modern metronome apps do all that and more.

I am practicing a piece with irregular meters but constant 32nd notes. So I am using a metronome app on the iPhone (Pro Metronome) that gives a constant 370 bpm. Would go up to 500 if I needed to. Don’t think the Seiko could do that, but maybe with subdivisions.

But the Seiko wouldn’t drain the iPhone battery.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post