well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Numbers re "How many of you have guns?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Numbers re "How many of you have guns?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
A relative revealed some years ago that he had guns...His wife was a prosecutor and he was "protecting" his family...They had toddlers at the time... HairRaising

We asked what he was doing for safety...He had the unloaded gun in his nightstand and the ammo locked elsewhere in the house... WTF So much for a break in attack.

It was later revealed that his "buddy" who was coming around lots to visit was his cocaine dealer so I expect it was more for that then to protect his family...As his now ex wife found out much later, he had been taking his preschoolers to said "friend"'s home to make a deal so..yeah... omg

No guns in my house then (now or ever) real or toy.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Just for reference, I myself don't have a gun. I doubt I'd be able to handle one if suddenly awakened (suspect most handguns are too heavy without a lot more upper body work in the gym anyhow).

I've been thinking about the pros and cons overall, more from the POV of my sons (just to put in my two cents, if consulted Big Grin).

I know one is interested, while the other wants NOT to have one. Among other factors, pretty sure the second is influenced by the multiple gun-related tragedies that have hit close friends (both uncles of one died in a murder suicide a few years ago, while the fiance of the second shot himself in the head after a minor quarrel.) Needless to say, both survivors are sorrowed and traumatized.

The son tending towards ownership, is influenced by a long-term sponsor/counselor. He is a rabbi who served a good while in the military before changing course, and has QUITE a large arsenal. Not sure how much he himself (the rabbi) was influenced by being the only child of Holocaust survivors. I'm pretty sure his strong belief in self-defense began there, though, but his collection far surpasses that need alone.

I remember ages ago, my father refusing pressure from we three children for a gun (we also unsuccessfully lobbied him for a fallout shelter). He said he felt the danger of impulsive domestic use far outweighed any advantages of having a gun.

(We DID have a pretty tempestuous family life...)

Much better and more useful for my self-defense would be another dog, I think. I'm just worried about possible risks of ownership if/when I downsize to an apartment or more even more restrictive housing. The main factors are dog weight and barking, apart from fears about my ability to keep it walked, especially if I have more surgery, especially a major one.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, Big Al, for your comprehensive and carefully thought-out response. It gave me quite a bit to consider, as well as insight into you personally (as a man of high personal integrity - not news, of course!)

I was surprised when your list of reasons ended with the resolution NOT to own a gun, as it began with what seemed forceful arguments for (your personal) gun ownership. What seemed to be statements explaining why you already own one.

I always appreciate it when members are willing to share about their personal scruples and principles. Apropos, this issue reminds me of something I've long pondered - the evolution of discussions between us all, from PW to WTF.

I don't know who else might remember that in the beginning, members often wrote long responses, even essays, clearly researched and edited. Anyone interested in checking early conversations would see this (SO grateful to Frank for being willing to continue archiving the PW "Old Coffee House" talks!).

Over time, things became increasingly telegraphic (and the contents include far more practical advice, interspersed with almost bare links). I guess one reason for the change is our aging. Folks are differently busy and our online attention, more divided. But then I am one of the few still trying to use emails as letters (mourning the loss of the latter. Even phone calls are shrinking as people prefer to choose when they interact).

WTF's survival continues to remind me of the great superiority of the forum format over Facebook's poor substitute for discussion (how few people even remember this option!)

...Just a (typical) digressive reflection about change, our change. Group Hug Forum emoticons are vastly superior too! Sick of Facebook's sparse array, and noting resentfully how much FB designers affect society, even RL exchanges. (E.g., "Liking", I "Heart you").

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post