well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bad cholesterol

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad cholesterol
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
New research from RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences has revealed that the link between 'bad' cholesterol (LDL-C) and poor health outcomes, such as heart attack and stroke, may not be as strong as previously thought.

Published in JAMA Internal Medicine, the research questions the efficacy of statins when prescribed with the aim of lowering LDL-C and therefore reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD).

Previous research has suggested that using statins to lower LDL-C positively affects health outcomes, and this is reflected in the various iterations of expert guidelines for the prevention of CVD. Statins are now commonly prescribed by doctors, with one third of Irish adults over the age of 50 taking statins, according to previous research.

The new findings contradict this theory, finding that this relationship was not as strong as previously thought. Instead, the research demonstrates that lowering LDL-C using statins had an inconsistent and inconclusive impact on CVD outcomes such as myocardial infarction (MI), stoke, and all-cause mortality.

In addition, it indicates that the overall benefit of taking statins may be small and will vary depending on an individual's personal risk factors.

https://medicalxpress.com/news...l-heart-disease.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking of keeping this new information in mind when I fix myself dinner tonight…

I wonder how much cheese I even have left?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think I'll have me some fried eggs tomorrow morning, over easy. With sausage!! Well, chicken sausage as a minor concession.

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I think I'll have me some fried eggs tomorrow morning, over easy. With sausage!! Well, chicken sausage as a minor concession.

Make sure you cook them in butter, not olive oil.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Maybe some good bacon grease!

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From one of the study authors.

https://theconversation.com/be...ted-new-study-175557

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
My lipidologist thinks there’s nothing wrong with cheese and she affirmatively thinks eggs are good. She says that cholesterol from food has a very small impact on total cholesterol … the greatest proportion is cholesterol produced by your liver, and she thinks carbohydrates are the enemy.

But sadly she is vey much against fried foods and processed meats like bacon.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We eat an egg every morning.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm drinking coffee with quite a lot of real cream right now.

As Quirt said, our lipidologist is not at all concerned about dietary fat, as long as bad blood fats stay low, either naturally or with statins. I sure hope she's right, because I have become totally unconcerned about it. Big Grin

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No one gets out alive.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Lol. Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post