well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Manual dexterity, Hanon, and craft projects.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual dexterity, Hanon, and craft projects.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
I’ve been dropping things lately - not a lot, and not big things, but small things held between two or three fingers. Noticeable now because I’ve recently become obsessed with polymer clay, which led to jewelry making ideas (to sell in the gallery I belong to) which led to me dragging out all my old beading stuff (I used to make horse hair bracelets). At any rate, all that has me seeing that my fingers aren’t a nimble as they use to be.

So instead of freaking out, I decided I really should get back to consistently playing the piano (or really just playing the piano again instead of not playing the piano, which is where I’ve been for awhile). And I’m trying an experiment, hoping some (boring) Hanon will help - about 15 minutes of slow practice a day, just through the exercises, 3 at a time, to see if working all the fingers helps me get back to not dropping small things. I play with a metronome set at 60, and I do not play legato, but almost staccato, to make sure I activate each finger evenly. At the end, I play a little bit of a piece I’ve been hearing on the classical station I listen to - it’s so beautiful, (but is only a workout for the right hand, lots of held notes with with one or two fingers while others keep playing). Not sure if it’s working yet, as this is only day 4. But hopefully it will help.

Anyway - here are some pictures:

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I'm so envious of people who have artistic skills.

Great idea re the piano. I was doing the Hanon thing back during the summer. I thought it was really helping but somewhere along the way I fell off the wagon. Thanks for the reminder....

I have been going through some old yarn and crocheting kitty beds to donate to shelters. It seems to help with dexterity, too.

As far as infirmities of old age and injury are concerned, I've been most focused on trying to get my knee back to normal after the fall I took before Christmas. I'm getting there but it's still a work in progress.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38202 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Jodi!

I’m accidentally taking a blues class this term, and trying to reacquaint my fingers with my guitar. I know I’ll never play barre chords, and there are a couple lateral spreads my fingers don’t want to do, either.

I knit a lot, but that doesn’t involve a whole lot of individual finger movement. Picking up beads has always been a little tricksy, but I use a bead needle for that, anyway!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9849 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
The op 10 #3 gives a full hand workout as you move further into the piece. I play some sections of it for warm-ups. You don't need to just play Hanon for a good workout. Bach is great for hand work - as are the Chopin etudes.

My spouse is still working from home - so Hanon would be a little painful for her to hear - though I'm thinking of getting a nice digital to supplement my regular piano - which would allow unfettered technique work without worry that it was some kind of torture to the listener.

Your creations are gorgeous.

Posts: 9616 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Klurrs - yes, I only play the Hanon during the day when Steve isn’t home! I honestly like it right now because of its repetitive monotony, but I will add more variety (Chopin and Bach) in later. Once upon a time (like in my early 20’s!) I did this - just Hanon for a few weeks - without practicing anything else - and I was pleasantly surprised that afterwords some of the pieces I had been having uneven rhythm issues with (with my individual fingers) had really improved. (Specifically the Dr. Gradus Debussy piece from children’s corner) I’ll keep you all posted!

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
The op 10 #3 gives a full hand workout as you move further into the piece. I play some sections of it for warm-ups. You don't need to just play Hanon for a good workout. Bach is great for hand work - as are the Chopin etudes.

I hadn’t looked at the middle much - I’ve been doing this other crazy thing and starting a new piece from the last page, and moving backwards - because I have a history of starting a piece and then not really finishing it properly - so the beginning is always much better than the last bit. So I’m making myself learn it differently (though on this piece, the end is very similar to the beginning).

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi this all sounds excellent! Are you playing scales at all? Are you playing all HT or some HS?

Also, if you want to just move through very easy material to gt your hands to play a lot of different rhythms etc., the Music for Millions series is always good. Let me know if you want any book suggestions because I am a sheet music-aholic!

Also, I always love seeing your amazing art work!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I mostly practice hands together, unless there is a particularly tricky fingering part (then I practice one hand or the other to figure that part out). Would love some book recommendations!

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So you might sometimes practice HS, and focus really closely on keeping tension out, being very loose but also very even from one note to the next etc.

These are three from the Music for Millions series, if you don't have them already:

Easy
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Cl...id=1612483757&sr=8-1

Intermediate
https://www.amazon.com/Classic...id=1612483757&sr=8-8

Early Advanced
https://www.amazon.com/Early-A...d=1612483757&sr=8-11

I like these books because it's easy to just go through them (like reading a book!) A lot of people will say "well you can get that for free on IMSLP" -- well, yeah, I'm sure I could, but it takes for ever just to find one piece, get the one where the pdf looks good, print it out.... You get the picture!

I go back and forth between the following two approaches:
1. True "sightreading" approach: play one piece one day and then move on to a different piece the next.
2. Reading approach: play one piece (the same piece)every day for a week, with the goal of getting the tempo up and really "getting" the music. Then move on to the next piece. But also with the goal of playing lots of different pieces.

I like going through these books because I play tons of pieces I've never heard or heard of, and that's fun. Especially when I come across something that's just charming and I love spending a few days on it.

Also, have you played Bach Inventions? I would guess that anything by Bach (well, above the level of Notebook for AM) would be great for dexterity, and independence (not just finger independence but brain independence!)

Hope this is helpful!

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh, if you want something modern, you might consider Alexis Ffrench
https://www.amazon.com/Alexis-...f%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-1

He calls himself "classical soul" I think, others say it's "neo classical" but in any case, he has some really lovely pieces that are probably intermediate level. Listen to these two for an idea:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Yes, I’ve played the Bach Inventions - not all of them, but some, a long time ago! Will haul those out again.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And Alexis Ffrench was one of the composers i heard and thought you would like!

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Alexis Ffrench was one of the composers i heard and thought you would like!

You know me well!! Big Grin

I recorded Moments last... August? And I'm working on another piece by him right now (it's sort of more like jazz masquerading as classical... Big Grin

I also attended a Zoom "master class" with Ffrench, it was really neat!! Among other things, I learned that his home piano is a Bösendorfer Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The Alexis piece I’ve been trying to find is called “Wishing”. I played a 7-ish foot Boesendorfer at The piano store in Kirkland (WA) the last time I was there visiting my son - it was about $125K and it was FABULOUS.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I dragged out Bach - a lot of my music belonged to my mom (who minored in piano in college). She doesn’t play anymore, we used to play duets together (we even performed for one of the piano get togethers back when classical grands was still in Seattle). She doesn’t seem to be able to read music very well anymore - probably because she hasn’t played much for a long time. (Part of the reason I decided I needed to get serious about practicing again, so I don’t lose it). Anyway - here’s the book. Look at the dates she was assigned these pieces! Bought in Alton, Illinois. And look at the price!

Smiler Jodi