well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bank jackings
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bank jackings
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
how hard can that be to trace?

My understanding is it's a speed game. Someone sets up an account, gets the money in there, transfers it. Closes the first account...

I don't remember if this was in one of the links WTG posted or if I read it somewhere else, but I read about online accounts that are easier to set up and harder to trace, and that's what makes this work.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
See the 2022 movie “Emily the Criminal”. It’s a fictional narrative crime thriller film about a credit card fraud ring and how they operate but it can also apply to stolen checks, stolen smart phones, etc. They’re high tech criminals and they can clean you out pretty quick.

Posted by ShiroKuro. (The quote button isn't displaying on my screen).

"I have to wonder about this. At the very least I would worry that there might be a significant time lag during which you could be without funds if you had money in a checking and/or savings account and thieves forced you to transfer that such that the money was no longer in your account..."

After I saw it, I once talked to a banker about this movie. She said banks have to conduct an investigation into the reported theft and it can take about three months to get your money back. She also recommended keeping a minimal balance in a checking account to minimize the loss.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
My Venmo and Schwab apps are now hidden. Thanks for this. I had no idea this was a problem.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
My Venmo and Schwab apps are now hidden. Thanks for this. I had no idea this was a problem.

Do you have an iPhone or an Android? And if you pull down the search bar and search for the app, will it pop up?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:

Do you have an iPhone or an Android? And if you pull down the search bar and search for the app, will it pop up?

Turns out you can change the name of any app and such that search won’t find it unless you know the new name.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
"The first iOS 17.3 beta rolling out to developers today includes a new "Stolen Device Protection" feature that is designed to add an additional layer of security in the event someone has stolen your iPhone and also obtained the device's passcode."

https://www.macrumors.com/2023...-protection-feature/

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that, rontuner. I saw a snippet on the news but didn't catch exactly what the new features are. Sounds good for iPhone users.

I had heard about thieves holding the phone in front of the victim's face or pressing their finger on the phone to unlock it. These new features take that into account:

quote:
For especially sensitive actions, including changing the password of the Apple ID account associated with the iPhone, the feature adds a security delay on top of biometric authentication. In these cases, the user must authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID, wait one hour, and authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID again. However, Apple said there will be no delay when the iPhone is in familiar locations, such as at home or work.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post