well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stranded in Buffalo

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stranded in Buffalo
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Group of Korean tourists traveling through Buffalo in the Christmas storm....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tra...anded-124618333.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
“It’s going to be a harsh winter, where should we go to get away from it all?’

“How about Buffalo?’

I love the story, but what the hell were they thinking…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Buffalo has the nicest summers. (Trust me, I’m a native.)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Great story. I have a similar one.

In 1950, a major snowstorm hit on the evening of Thanksgiving. US 22 ran directly past our farm and as the storm blew and the snow deepened, a hillside cut to the east of our house drifted in with snow, trapping cars on the road trying to go home. Ours was the nearest house; eventually, 29 people came through our doors to escape the storm. We had people piled up on every bed, sofa, and carpet in the house.

I was about four and a half years old at the time so my memories are somewhat sketchy. I remember my grandfather and another man wrapping their legs with burlap grain sacks tied over their boot tops and walking to a diner just west of our farm to get additional food, in particular eggs, to help feed the guests. Living on a farm, we had plenty of most varieties of food, but not enough eggs for everyone.

Eventually, the state highway department arrived with a road grader and plowed the snow out of the cut so the cars could be freed and our guests could go on their way.

Those who experienced that snow usually remembered it. I had a couple of friends relate their stories to me many years later. One said that a National Guard base in Pittsburgh rolled a couple of its tanks out on the main road to pack the snow down enough so that emergency vehicles with chains could get through. Another related how his father and most of the men on his street joined forces to shovel enough of their street to let emergency vehicles get there if needed. Most of the men had a bottle of schnapps with them to keep the chill away and they put the bottles in a convenient snowdrift. By the time the shoveling was accomplished, they'd hit the bottles more than once and were feeling the effects of drinking cold liquor straight. My friend said it was hilarious to see grown men engaged in a snowball fight and tumbling down the street after they finished the job.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
“It’s going to be a harsh winter, where should we go to get away from it all?’

“How about Buffalo?’

I love the story, but what the hell were they thinking…

They probably didn't stay at the right hotel in Amsterdam, or visit the best places in Costa Rica either.

Maybe we should recruit them to join WTF....at least they'd get good travel advice.... ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
This is an local news story about a similar event here. Our Walmart also sheltered about 100 people overnight when the surrounding roads were closed.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/ble...as-weekend-1.6209904

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post