well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Additional phone number?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Additional phone number?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Is there a way to get a second phone number without getting a phone and a landline or cell service?

I thought I heard that guugle could give you a phone number... I just need a number that might occasionally get a voicemail message on it.

TIA.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think Doug uses Google voice. Maybe he will chime in.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34980 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
You can get a number through Skype, but I think all their plans cost something.

I used google voice when we went to England. I transferred in our existing numbers however when I did it. I *think* they will assign you a number if you ask for one. Since I didn't take that route, I don't know if they charge for that or not.

Another thought is to get a cheap, non-data phone. Maybe $50 for the phone, and then $15 per month for the service. Might be better deals than that out there. If google and skype has no free tiers you can use, might be the cheapest approach.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to set up google voice. I created a new google workspace account. It keeps telling me to sign in as an admin (with a non gmail address). I'm stuck.

Anyone here ever set up a guugle workspace (business) account?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, that was anything but intuitive.

I got a number. The area code is in Rhode Island. It was that or Tennessee (nope), Mississippi (nope), or Utah (rather not). Oddly, the prefix is my area code.

Later I'll beat my head against trying to figure out how to set up voicemail on it.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
With everyone moving their cell phones around I don't think area codes make much difference any more. Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34980 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
With everyone moving their cell phones around I don't think area codes make much difference any more. Confused

So true!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13819 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Several of my coworkers have Google numbers so that clients are not calling their personal cell phones.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post