well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Long Skinny Legged Furniture

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Skinny Legged Furniture
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a secretarial desk that looks something like the one shown below. It has the Queen Anne style of legs which are long, thin, and contoured. The legs are not connected to each other with horizontal struts which would make the desk sturdier.

This has me concerned. Let’s say something happens to one of the legs such as a moving mishap and a new relacement leg cannot be made by the manufacturer. Could a cabinet maker/carpenter make a new matching leg without having the leg’s factory pattern?

Posts: 1412 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes, a good furniture restoration guy could make a new leg. It won’t be cheap and it won’t be quick but the new leg will be indistinguishable from the others.

It’s not likely to ever need a whole new leg unless a dog chews it up or something. Generally legs like that break at the attachment to the table, which is a fairly straightforward repair.

Good looking desk. Is it new?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Unless it is quite old, I'd suspect that you could buy that leg online. A lot of furniture makers now use legs from suppliers rather than crafting them in house. Worst case scenario you'd have to buy four and have them finished to match.

Legs that thick tend to be pretty sturdy. If you like the piece, I wouldn't let that deter you.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I have a somewhat similar cherry secretary that I built a number of year ago from a kit from Emperor Clock Company. Mine has a bookcase atop the secretary and four drawers beneath. I really would have no concerns whatsoever about the legs. The only likely way to damage them would be to drag the secretary to move it rather than picking it up to relocate it. I also have dining room chairs with Queen Anne legs and I've seen no signs of distress with those even though chairs are pushed up to and back from the table whenever they're used.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7427 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post