well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Would it annoy you if
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would it annoy you if
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing.

Along the same lines of reporting your fellow neighbors...

A few days ago when I was out for a walk I saw a couple who was pruning the parkway tree in front of their house down to basically nothing. There were six inch stubs sticking out from the trunk.

I blurted out "what happened to your tree?" thinking it got damaged to the storm the previous night. The woman said "it was out of control" and waved her arms around showing how big it had gotten. The man said "there were way too many leaves and I didn't want to deal with them."

I held up any remarks like "what, are you going to cut down all your neighbors' trees, too?" or "why would you move to a town that prides itself on its tree canopy and that just spent $15 million dollars replacing all the ashes that were killed by emerald ash borers?". Or "you *do* know that tree doesn't belong to you but rather to the village".

Went home and emailed public works and gave the location and a description of what they were doing. PW emailed back and thanked me for the alert and said they're going to send Forestry out to look.

I wonder what will happen. I don't think the tree will recover and it will probably get replaced. Wonder if they'll get billed or just get a warning to keep their hands off parkway trees in the future.

smh.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post