well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Medical illustrators do COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical illustrators do COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In a Pandemic, Medical Illustrators Made Science Accessible

With lots of research, arrows, and an inviting color palette, artists helped transform complex research into useful information.

https://www.wired.com/story/in...-science-accessible/

The nasal swab and where it goes:

https://medivisuals.com/produc...ronavirus-swab-test/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37951 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the microscopic structures inside cells are smaller than the wavelengths that create visible light, so they don’t have their own color. As a result, no standard color code for them exists. “

Which makes it even more amazing that they can see it at all.

Wow! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic - There are now only three accredited medical illustration programs in the country, and they are all graduate degrees. One of them is where I got mine (U of I medical center in Chicago) back then (early 80’s) U of I and one other university offered undergrad degrees in medical illustration, and there were more schools that did the graduate degree. Pretty sure it’s considered a bit of a dying profession, or at least there isn’t as much work for somebody in that profession anymore, my job as medical illustrator and photographer at a medical school was mostly doing by hand things that almost anybody can do using a computer and digital cameras/phones now. Charts and graphs, newsletter layout, brochure design, tons of slides for lectures, and darkroom work. Very little of the work was cool illustration projects, and that was true most places. There are still cool illustration projects out there, but you don’t need a full time medical illustrator on staff to do them most places. When I left, they turned the position into a graphic designer position, which paid less, and I’ll bet they don’t even have that anymore.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post