well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A happy ending for NuNu

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A happy ending for NuNu
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Don't know if you heard about the guy who rode his horse on the Dan Ryan Expressway back in September 2020. I think I skipped posting about it because the horse was in very bad shape after the incident.

It's been an uphill climb for NuNu, but there was recently good news. An update:

https://abc7chicago.com/tinley...uelty-laws/11886421/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Good for Nunu. What kind of moron pulls a stunt like that?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
State police said the horse sustained several injuries, and was bleeding from the left hoof, injured on its right hoof and the right side of the horse's body had bleeding sores from the saddle.

OMG. I hadn't heard of this. I'm glad he was charged with animal cruelty and served time. His response to the horse's injures is awesomely callous:

"There [are] people on my page talking about animal cruelty. They're crying out. Who's crying out for the poor children in our neighborhood?"

This is the sort of thing that can send me into white hot rage.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I sort of remember the Dreadhead Cowboy, but I don't think I'd realized this stunt or the injuries it caused.

Was the guy just clueless?

Which brings up another question. I would have been clueless myself, but hearing about this story, it makes sense to me that concrete is too much for a horse's hooves.

But what about the horses you see in parades (on city streets) or the horses for mounted police, who also ride on city streets.

Do they have different horse shoes? Or is it a speed and time issue?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
IIRC, NuNu had no shoes and that was a huge part of the problem. The horsey people here will know more about the implications of riding an unshod horse at a trot or gallop for 12 miles on concrete and asphalt.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
No shoes???? That’s horrible!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Jodi probably is more current but back when I was riding a lot, if you were going to ride on asphalt (like in a parade) you switched to rubber shoes, because they could get a better grip on the pavement. Regular metal shoes are slippery on asphalt, concrete, etc. No shoes Isa definite no no under most circumstances

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post