well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A whole lotta sheeps

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A whole lotta sheeps
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Crowds gathered to watch thousands of sheep herded across the Idaho 55 in the Gem State’s west on Monday, April 24.

Local media reported some 2,600 lambs and ewes were involved in the crossing in Eagle, adding that the sheep would make their way to the Table Rock area over the coming days.

Video:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/vi...ver-2-011934826.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That was very good. I wonder if this transfer is an annual event since it seemed to have attracted a crowd of onlookers. The drone coverage really showed the flow of the herd.

I also really liked seeing the collies helping to control the sheep as they moved.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They're on the lam.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
baa! An udderly ewesless video

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
That was very good. I wonder if this transfer is an annual event since it seemed to have attracted a crowd of onlookers. The drone coverage really showed the flow of the herd.

I also really liked seeing the collies helping to control the sheep as they moved.

Big Al

Here's the backstory:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/s...9e-9ca6-4cbfb570eaca

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I remember dry camping in the desert above Barstow one Easter weekend. I hen we awoke we surrounded by 100’s of sheep being driven through the open desert, following the greening of the grass. They left quite a mess, for sure.

The shepherd was Basque and he rode a Yamaha 175 Enduro. He had a couple of dogs and it was his job to drive the sheep north a little every day and camp in his little tent at night. The dogs took care of the heavy work.

Every day a guy would come with a truck and move the water tank some miles north to what would be the next overnight. He’d also leave gas and food for the shepherd and the dogs.

The shepherd told me that he would work only that one summer and he’d make enough to pay for 4 years of college, starting the following year.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Errol Flynn worked with the Basques and sheep at one time.
He covered details I don't want to see again in his autobiography. They did not use knives to neuter the male sheep.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
wtg, thanks for that backstory. It was enlightening.

Steve, I would have not associated sheepherding with California. News to me.

Chas, that lamb on the rod looks awfully good. We developed a big taste for lamb when we lived in Australia. We eat a good bit of lamb, typically buying a lamb for the freezer from one of my nephews or his children. We had a whole leg for easter and then ate the leftovers as lamb curry and then shepherd's pie.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post