well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Unsealing the affadavit

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsealing the affadavit
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A federal judge ordered the government on Thursday to propose redactions to the highly sensitive affidavit that was used to justify a search warrant executed by the F.B.I. last week at former President Donald J. Trump’s private home and club, saying he was inclined to unseal parts of it.

Ruling from the bench, the judge, Bruce E. Reinhart, said it was “very important” that the public have as “much information” as it can about the historic search at Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s Florida residence, noting that there were portions of the affidavit that “could be presumptively unsealed.”

“Whether those portions would be meaningful for the public or the media,” Judge Reinhart added, was not for him to decide. He acknowledged that the redaction process can often be extensive and effectively turn documents into “meaningless gibberish.”

Judge Reinhart’s decision appeared to strike a middle course between the Justice Department, which had wanted to keep the affidavit entirely under wraps as its investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents continued, and a group of news organizations, which requested that it be released in full to the public.

Warrant affidavits — which are written and sworn to by federal agents before searches take place — contain detailed information about criminal investigations and are almost always kept under seal until charges are filed.

As part of his ruling, Judge Reinhart ordered the government to send him under seal proposed redactions to the warrant affidavit by next Thursday at noon. He said he would review the suggestions and decide if he agreed with them. But he did not set a specific date for the affidavit to be released.

“This is going to be a considered, careful process,” Judge Reinhart said.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to Judge Reinhart’s ruling, but privately, officials said they were shocked by the decision.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0...fidavit-warrant.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They will redact the hell out of it, and we will be left no more informed than we are today.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13565 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“This is going to be a considered, careful process,” Judge Reinhart said.”

I think I’m gonna like this guy. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The federal magistrate judge who authorized the warrant to search Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate emphasized Monday that he “carefully reviewed” the FBI’s sworn evidence before signing off and considers the facts contained in an accompanying affidavit to be “reliable.”

Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart offered his assessment in a 13-page order memorializing his decision to consider whether to unseal portions of the affidavit, which describe the evidence the bureau relied on to justify the search of the former president’s home.

“I was — and am — satisfied that the facts sworn by the affiant are reliable,” Reinhart said in the order.

https://www.politico.com/news/...go-reliable-00053074

Reinhart's assessment so far:

https://storage.courtlistener....sd.617854.80.0_2.pdf

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course he would say that, and it is very likely true. But that's not what releasing the affidavit is about. It's so Americans can see for themselves. There are some who will never be convinced regardless, but I think most people will view it with an open mind.

If they don't display the utmost transparency, they just fuel Trump's fire.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Well, of course he would say that, and it is very likely true. But that's not what releasing the affidavit is about. It's so Americans can see for themselves. There are some who will never be convinced regardless, but I think most people will view it with an open mind.

I don't believe that. I believe 90% are locked in, one way or another. Remember when he said he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any support?

quote:
If they don't display the utmost transparency, they just fuel Trump's fire.

No matter what they do, they'll fuel Trump's fire. If they released the entire affidavit without a single redaction, he'd still call it a witch hunt and go on to attack the sources.

And almost all of his supporters would tag along for the ride.

And, if they didn't release it at all, not a single word, it wouldn't matter to a lot of people on their left, their view wouldn't change.

It's just who we are now.

Posts: 45760 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think we could be moving beyond that, and I still don't believe it is the majority. I don't know very many Republicans who truly want Trump 2024, and a lot of Democrats who are not wild about Biden.

Hope springs eternal.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty tired of the press breathlessly keeping TFG in the news cycle. If a tree falls in a forest…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I agree, AdagioM. But he does draw "clicks," which seems to be the only thing of value in today's news cycle.

The other thing that annoys me to no end is that the vast majority of "news" articles are 90% opinion/bloviation and 10% information that can actually be verified independently. And I may be overly generous in my estimation. This is especially true on social media, like FB.

Remember in the old days when a newspaper wouldn't publish any news article until it had been independently verified? Or is that just for us old fogies....

People read these essentially opinion articles and start quoting them as though they are actual, factual news. Ugh.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The more information that comes out, the worse he seems to look.

quote:
The National Archives found more than 700 pages of classified material — including “special access program materials,” some of the most highly classified secrets in the government — in 15 boxes recovered from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in January, according to correspondence between the National Archivist and his legal team.

The May 10 letter — posted late Monday on the website of John Solomon, a conservative journalist and one of Trump’s authorized liaisons to the National Archives to review papers from his presidency — showed that NARA and federal investigators had grown increasingly alarmed about potential damage to national security caused by the warehousing of these documents at Mar-a-Lago, as well as by Trump’s resistance to sharing them with the FBI.

These records included 700 pages of classified material, according to the letter, sent by National Archivist Debra Wall to Trump’s attorney, Evan Corcoran, and it doesn’t include records recovered by the Justice Department and FBI during a June meeting and the Aug. 11 search of the Mar-a-Lago premises.

https://www.politico.com/news/...mp-security-00053250

First TFG released the warrant without redacting names of the DOJ and FBI people involved. Now he releases a letter from the National Archives to his attorney.

Gotta give him credit for being the master of chaos...

Bazootiehead-in-training