well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What to do when teetotalers receive wine as a gift?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do when teetotalers receive wine as a gift?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that cultural differences may be at play here, at least in part. I'm not terribly familiar with Japanese customs, but from what I do know, they seem to be very different than what I'm accustomed to. Interactions are more formal and scripted. One of my colleagues at the Merc wrote a book called Understanding and Working With the Japanese Business World. He also taught a class for employees who were interested in learning more about Japanese customs. I quickly learned I would be a bull in a china shop in most situations. I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer when it comes to rules of etiquette... I learned this about myself at a relatively young age... Crazy Big Grin

I don't get the false pretenses concept, probably because I don't think of a gift as "I bought this for you". I think of it as "I am giving you something that I think you would like and/or use." How much I did (or didn't) pay for it doesn't enter in to the equation. YMMV.

I'm appreciative to the gift giver for their thoughtfulness. As a gift giver, I hope that whatever I give someone will be something that brings them joy, but if they give it away or throw it in the garbage, that's OK too.

I'm also not one who feels that someone else is obligated to reciprocate if I give them a gift. And I don't feel the need to give a gift in return when I receive one. There's no gift scorecard.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Forever more I will look suspiciously at any gift you give me. Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no gift scorecard.

This is how I like to see things for myself. But I also know that not everyone feels that way, and if I give someone a gift, they may feel some sense of obligation as a result. Certainly Japanese culture tends toward this more so than in the US, but there are certainly people in the US who mentally keep score.

BTw, my friend came over today, we’re giving her some plants that we can’t take with us. I told her I’d received those two bottles 3-4 years ago so they may not be any good but she said she was happy to try and find out!
Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18612 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
there are certainly people in the US who mentally keep score.

For these folks, I take the approach that Joshua did in War Games.

suave

edit: (thought I had posted this before)..

Glad to hear the plants and wine have a new home!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Say "Thank you very much."
Then find recipes that require it or pass it on.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re “not to play” — that doesn’t work as well in cross cultural interactions.

Posts: 18612 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

So, this is interesting because I just realized an inconsistency in myself. I said I didn’t want to “out” us as non-drinkers if someone gave us wine… and certainly I don’t want to make anyone feel bad or uncomfortable.

But I don’t think I’m comfortable with or willing to accept someone pouring me a glass of wine and pretending but then not drink it.

Why not just say “oh I’m sorry we don’t drink”?

If I’m at someone else’s house and offered wine or other alcohol, that’s what I always do.

Normally, I would agree, of course.

I’m thinking of a situation where you bring a bottle, they serve it, and they call you out. Like they say SK and Mr. SK brought a bottle of whatever. I would want to avoid creating a situation where I m refusing to drink what I brought. So I would fake it, and just leave it the glass untouched.

Not essential to handle it that way, but it is an option. It is the sort of thing I would do if I were pregnant and didn’t want to let on.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, that makes sense.

We’ve only taken wine as a gift for the hosts once, and they didn’t open it.

And at this point, we haven’t hosted any events since before covid.

As I think I said, we are moving soon, and I’m hoping that we’ll do more hosting again (and attending) in our new location. So as awkward as I am sometimes, hopefully, we’ll have to think more about these kinds of “social etiquette” questions because we’ll be socializing more!

Hope springs eternal… Big Grin