well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wild Rice

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Rice
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I have a personal connection to this article, having spent some of early youth in Northern Minnesota with my parents who were friends several Ojibwe people. They even received a traditional bark canoe as a wedding present, and as late as 1975, the last year I was there, that canoe was in the rafters of a barn in Gilbert, MN.

I have vague early memories of harvesting wild rice from a canoe and then going somewhere to pick it up after roasting. I also remember harvesting berries (blackberries?) from the same canoe. I remember getting packages of wild rice in the mail after we moved to California. I didn't know that it was hybridized in the 70's and I'm surprised my parents never mentioned that.

To this day the harvest is a throwback to another time and apparently it's still done the way they have done it forever. I'll have to see if I can get some of the real thing - the article doesn't have much to good to say about "paddy rice".

Wild Rice

You might like to poke around the website - they have a lot of interesting recipes.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Would like to try that rice.
White rice is high on the glycemic scale. Brown rice is not much lower. Wonder where real wild rice is on the scale.
If I want something with a high glycemic index number I will take gelato.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I make wild rice occasionally. It’s expensive here.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post