well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    631 North Drury Lane

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

631 North Drury Lane
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
My friend Susan and I walk together several times a week. Usually we head south or west, but last week decided to head north. We came across a house that got our attention because it had clearly been remodeled, and it has a front yard rain garden. Not typical for the neighborhood. Or for our community in general.

Susan did some digging and found that the homeowners have a blog about the remodeling project. The blog does not have anything about the rain garden, and the original plans don't seem to show one. I have skipped around and read some of their story and can't decide if they're really cool or a little bit nuts. Maybe a little of both...

Happy Boolo:

https://www.happyboolo.com/our-story

We're trying to figure out how this passed inspection. The rain garden runs right up to the village sidewalk, and a passerby could easily step off the sidewalk and tumble into the rain garden. And that bridge is not that wide, and it doesn't have handrails. If we got a significant snow, the whole thing could be a giant disaster in the making, as you might not realize there's a pretty good-sized hole there.

OTOH, maybe they're not done with the rain garden yet...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like the house a lot! Updated farm house but not black and white.

Rain garden, not so much.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're trying to figure out how this passed inspection. The rain garden runs right up to the village sidewalk, and a passerby could easily step off the sidewalk and tumble into the rain garden. And that bridge is not that wide, and it doesn't have handrails. If we got a significant snow, the whole thing could be a giant disaster in the making, as you might not realize there's a pretty good-sized hole there.

Oh wow! I would not have considered those details, but yikes!!

So, what is a rain garden? It's supposed to stay wet? Is that why it's sunken?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Oh wow! I would not have considered those details, but yikes!!

So, what is a rain garden? It's supposed to stay wet? Is that why it's sunken?

It's supposed to survive on no more than rain water. That's why it's sunken but I don't see why it needs to be that deep. An few inches would trap plenty of rain. Not a fan of the step up at the front door either - the one with no handrails. Looks like it will be a death trap with a little ice on it.

I'm also not sure why it has to look so weedy. Chicagoland has any number of native plants that look good without any care. More careful arrangement of plants (drifts, meadow, height changes) and some rocks would could go a long way.

Maybe it's a work in progress.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The rifle hidden behind the wall.

https://www.happyboolo.com/fol...ifle-behind-the-wall

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind doing away with grass and having a pollinator garden, but the rain garden is giving me nightmares of a flooded basement or subsiding slab foundation.

If that deep hole is meant to stay, it would act like a stormwater retention pond. Those require permits, although I don't know how big they have to be to trigger permitting.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15521 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's sure not going to run excess rainfall away from the foundation. I agree with all the cautionary comments from everyone. Nice idea poorly executed.

Like the house.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13573 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree with Steve regarding the choice of plant material in front. There were lots of asters there and we could see bees and some very tiny yellow butterflies checking out the purple flowers, but it did look like an overgrown weed patch.

They were going for LEED Platinum certification and I'm sure that involves rainwater harvesting. But what that means exactly, I have no clue. I don't see anything in the blog (which is a bit scattered) about burying tanks to capture rainwater.

At the very end of this page on their site, they show a concept drawing of the front yard, which is very different than what is there now.

Susan and I will have to head in the direction of 631 and hope we run into the owners some time so we can ask them some questions. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I agree with Steve regarding the choice of plant material in front. There were lots of asters there and we could see bees and some very tiny yellow butterflies checking out the purple flowers, but it did look like an overgrown weed patch.

They were going for LEED Platinum certification and I'm sure that involves rainwater harvesting. But what that means exactly, I have no clue. I don't see anything in the blog (which is a bit scattered) about burying tanks to capture rainwater.

At the very end of this page on their site, they show a concept drawing of the front yard, which is very different than what is there now.

Susan and I will have to head in the direction of 631 and hope we run into the owners some time so we can ask them some questions. Big Grin

Well there you go. Lots of hard scape on the drawing, none of which ended up in the yard.

I’m thinking they ran out of money.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From what I'm seeing in the concept sketch, the front yard was basically going to be flat. I just see a little bit of a grade away from the house.

What they ended up with was a big hole with a stone wall around the entire perimeter (you can kind of see the wall in my pics). The front yard is something like 50 x 20-ish feet. Excavation and stone work couldn't have been cheap.

And they're dumping the downspouts from the porch roof down into the moat.

This makes no sense.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What is this thing you call a rain garden?

:

Posts: 24791 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post