well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Supreme Court blow against LGBTQ

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court blow against LGBTQ
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
“Today, the Court, for the first time in its history, grants a business open to the public a constitutional right to refuse to serve members of a protected class,” she wrote.

“Specifically, the Court holds that the First Amendment exempts a website design company from a state law that prohibits the company from denying wedding websites to same-sex couples if the company chooses to sell those websites to the public,” she wrote. -Sotomayor Supreme Court vs. LGBTQ

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
POC are next.

Got lunch counter?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And then… and then… and then…

https://www.advocate.com/voice...eme-court-anti-lgbtq

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
"And let's digress for a moment here. The so-called website designer was never approached by a gay couple. The case was brought by an extreme Christian right group -- I won't give the group the dignity of mentioning its name. The case was phony. The case was a hypothetical, and the justices who wouldn't answer questions about hypotheticals willingly ruled on one."

This is the broken high-court...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It was predictable.

Justice Kennedy wrote his last opinion about gay rights with what was practically an invitation to do it.

Disgusting.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
POC are next.

Got lunch counter?

Really.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes. "Disgusting" is the right word.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Mad

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
religion is the scourge of the earth.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
"And let's digress for a moment here. The so-called website designer was never approached by a gay couple. The case was brought by an extreme Christian right group -- I won't give the group the dignity of mentioning its name. The case was phony. The case was a hypothetical, and the justices who wouldn't answer questions about hypotheticals willingly ruled on one."

And as I understand it, the "designer" could have legally declined under existing Colorado law. This was a hypothetical designed specifically to move the Colorado law into the federal domain.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
religion is the scourge of the earth.

I have a friend who doesn't believe in organized religion.

I have to admit they've caused a lot of trouble in the last thousand years and more.

The kind of people who brand you as, "evil" as if they were God while never admitting to their own morally wretched behavior aren't pleasant.

People aren't perfect as you pointed out in a different thread.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Among all the anger-inducing details here, this one is particularly infuriating.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Among all the anger-inducing details here, this one is particularly infuriating.

Agreed.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post