well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meet the new kittehs
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet the new kittehs
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
For a year now, Mrs pj and I have talked about getting a couple cats. The house has been catless for a couple years.

She was looking at what was available at the Humane Society. It seems that people want some companionship during the pandemic and have been adopting lots of kitties. All there were on the Humane Society's web page were very old cats with serious health problems and some feral rescues that were not getting along with anyone.

Saturday I was idly scrolling through ads on craiglist and I saw one for two adult cats that urgently needed a new home. A young woman suddenly had to move (it was the last day of the month) and her new place would not let her have cats. We exchanged several texts. She was just a few miles north of me and the cats were in carriers in her car. They are five years old, one boy, one girl, littermates. She said they were very very affectionate, box-trained, and up to date on all shots and meds. She said that because it was an urgent request, she was not asking for a re-homing fee (I never understood that anyway).

Mrs pj and I ran out and got a box, some litter, and a few other essentials and gave the woman our address. She came over. Most of her possessions were stuffed in her car and the cats were in carriers in the front seat.

We agreed to give them a new forever home. She was very grateful and asked if we could send her updates once in a while.

I brought the carriers in the house and opened the doors. Bob came out first, looked around, and quickly ducked under the sofa. A few seconds later, Cocoa did the same. We left them alone for a while, then checked on them periodically. Late in the evening, I tried to lure them out and show them where the food is. They weren't having it.

The litter we got was so heavily scented, none of us could stand it.

Yesterday we had to go pick up DD and would be gone for several hours. Before we left, we went to the store and got some less whiffy litter and a can of moist food. We put the food in two small bowls and I lured Bob out with one of them and every time he took a bite, I pushed the bowl a foot toward the kitchen until he was there. Cocoa was not to be similarly fooled. We just left the food in the kitchen and headed out.

We got home last night and the cats were back under the sofa, but the food had been eaten and the box had been used.

Eventually, Cocoa came out and got lots of attention. She is rambunctious and at one point hopped from the chair onto the mantle, then up to the top of the bookcase. She only knocked one thing off the mantle. *sigh* She does seem to know the word "no". Bob came out a little later. He's more mellow (so far).

Cocoa weighs about seven pounds. Bob is a chonk. Their previous human said that Bob is for "Big Ol' Boy". He's not particularly round, but he's pretty dense... I'd say about 12 or 14 pounds.

So, I want to try to get their vet records -- although the woman hedged a bit, so they may not have been to the vet much even though she said they had shots. I need to find a new vet, since I had some issues the last time I was at our old one.

They seriously need some claw trimming. I started trimming Fred and Ginger's claws when they were kittens so they were used to it. It may take a while to work up to that with these two.

It's good to have some purr back in the house.

I was thinking of renaming them Douglas and Noble. But if they know their current names, we'll stick with those.

Anyway, here's what you actually opened this thread for:

Cocoa

Bob

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Awwwww! Good for you - glad you found littermates. They are beautiful. ♥️

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20456 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful. So great that they found a home together. Makes adjusting to a new life a little less scary for them both.

Congratulations!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Bob is a Tortoiseshell male! That's uncommon.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Congrats all around!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Aw, pretty kitties who will be so happy to be spoiled by you!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
What beautiful fur babies!!!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Very cute. Smiler

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Bob is a Tortoiseshell male! That's uncommon.

Bob is the orange one. I added their names to the pics.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Aww! Flower

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18470 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Mrs pj had only one criterion: shorthair.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Cute.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good looking cats!

I hope you enjoy each other's company for a long time.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34945 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like tortoise shell cats.
Hope they continue to please.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There are some trees outside the dining room window, and a bird bath. The trees are frequently full of birds chomping on the berries and just hanging out.

Mrs pj put a stool by the window so Cocoa can hop up onto the windowsill. She sat there for quite a while talking to the birds. Sounds like she has been learning to speak bird for a while. She has the chatter down.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com