well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meet the new kittehs
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet the new kittehs
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh, I just thought the orange one looked lightweight so I presumed Bob was the tortoise.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Bob is taking up as much of the couch as he can. Well, maybe he could take up more if he turned 90 degrees.

They are starting to make themselves at home.

The big challenge: trimming them razor-sharp claws of death.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Claw trimming.

I spent a lot of time touching her paws. When she was otherwise comfy. Little by little manipulating them.

Then started her being used to the clippers. Then would clip one at a time with more loves inbetween.

Etc.

I never clip deeply, but clip fairly often, one paw at a time...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Claw trimming.

I never clip deeply, but clip fairly often, one paw at a time...
With the aliens, we had "claw of the day club". One claw each day on each brother. Eventually we worked up to two or three claws before they were done for that day. I think one of them may have even made it to a complete paw in one sitting.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oh hai.

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yay! Good for you. They’re beautiful. I miss having a cat.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I know you have had a quiet, boring, slow news day and would really like an update on the kittehs.

This morning, Bob thought it was a good idea to claw at Mrs pj's desk chair. Mrs pj didn't think it was such a good idea. So, I declared that today was the day for the kittehs' first manicure.

I nabbed Bob first. I wrapped him in a bath towel with just his head and front legs sticking out. He was not happy. But I did manage to clip four claws on the first sitting. He went all corkscrew-cat and I let him run off. About ten minutes later, I picked him up in the hallway and we had another go. Same drill... bath-towel burrito cat. We did the last claw on the right front and all of the left front claws. Yay! Good kitty! I always start with the dew claw, otherwise, they never let you near it. I decided we would only do the fronts today since that's what he's scratching on stuff with. His claws were surprisingly easy to cut. I remember Fred's were so tough I was always afraid they would crack or split. Also, Bob's claws were in really good shape... fully intact and very pointy on the ends.

Then came Cocoa's turn. First I tried to wrap her in the bath towel. She was having none of that and squirmed out of it backward and jetted off. I let her settle down, then picked her up and sat down with her in my lap, tummy-side-up. No towel, but I did tuck the whole back half of her between my legs. She only made a little fuss and I was able to trim all of her front claws in one sitting. Her claws were a bit chipped, not in as good shape as Bob's... I'm not sure why. Again, we only did the fronts.

I have a nice clipper with a guard on it... when the guard is in place, you can only cut about 1/8" off at a time. That way, if they are really squirmy, you don't risk cutting them too short.

So, overall, I'd call it a success!

We did buy a scratching post before they first came to the house, but it's not very tall. We hadn't met Bob and didn't know he can probably reach at least three feet up if he stands on his back legs. I'm planning to make or buy a Bob-sized scratching post.

We also moved the litter box from the top of the stairs to the bottom. It was on the landing in the corner of the kitchen, and we were just getting far too much litter tracked around. I put it at the bottom of the stairs, but neither cat has come down to use it, yet. I even carried Bob down the stairs and set him on the floor near the box, but he just ran back up the stairs. There's a rug at the top of the stairs. I hope they don't decide to go on the rug... but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm hoping they get it figured out. The first day they were home, they figured out where the food and box were while we were gone. I'm guessing they'll get it sorted when we are not there hovering over them.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That horrid towel thing is exactly why with this kitty I did the new trick of loving each paw constantly before doing a clipping. She just thinks now, that it is part of the loving. Try it!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, since they got their claws trimmed, they have both shown a lot more interest in the scratching post. But this is a new one on me (stoopid iPhone camera put the piano in focus, not the cats):

By the way, Mrs pj has declared that Bob is not a cat name. She has proposed Rusty. DD simply calls him Chonkster. I usually call him Buddy or Bubba.

I think Rusty sounds like he should be out sitting next to the driveway up on cinderblocks.

I'm open to suggestions.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Clark.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37971 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Clark? Kent? Was he a redhead?

Clark Bar?

Clark???

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I am still in favor of Douglas. As in Douglas Fur.

That's not gaining a lot of traction at Chez pj.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Douglas Fur.

hysteric

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And the other one could be Noble.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com