well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Changes in realtor commissions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changes in realtor commissions
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The 6% commission, a standard in home purchase transactions, is no more.

In a sweeping move expected to dramatically reduce the cost of buying and selling a home, the National Association of Realtors announced Friday a settlement with groups of homesellers, agreeing to end landmark antitrust lawsuits by paying $418 million in damages and eliminating rules on commissions.

The NAR, which represents more than 1 million Realtors, also agreed to put in place a set of new rules. One prohibits agents’ compensation from being included on listings placed on local centralized listing portals known as multiple listing services, which critics say led brokers to push more expensive properties on customers. Another ends requirements that brokers subscribe to multiple listing services — many of which are owned by NAR subsidiaries — where homes are given a wide viewing in a local market. Another new rule will require buyers’ brokers to enter into written agreements with their buyers.

The agreement effectively will destroy the current homebuying and selling business model, in which sellers pay both their broker and a buyer’s broker, which critics say have driven housing prices artificially higher.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/15...ettlement/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I'm thinking that in the long wrong this will benefit buyers and sellers, but in the short run, it could just cause chaos. So I need to read about it closely and try to figure out if it's going to impact me...

Wait, except, no, it's not because we already have a signed buy-sell agreement, so whatever will change doesn't impact us.... right?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a federal court approves the settlement, the new rules will take effect in July, according to a person close to the settlement talks who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...finance-verthp-feeds

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
in July

Well, unless something goes really south in the next few weeks, by July, we'll not only be moved, but probably already unpacked.

So, I guess that's good in that I don't have to worry about it...

But I wonder how much money a different model would save the buyer.

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have friends who are realtors. I'll try to reach out and see what their take is.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have read that it takes a long time for an agent to get established and actually start making any money. I would imagine that someone with a well-established career would be ok, but this will probably make it even harder for people trying to get into the business.

It’s an odd model, where the agent does all kinds of work without pay until the very end. And they have all kinds of hidden costs. And probably have clients that take up a long of time and then disappear without a sale…

Anyway I’ll be curious to hear your friends’ take.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I suspect that this change will work to advantage the better agents at the expense of the weaker/lazier agents. That advice, and $4.50, might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I'm not a student of the real estate market. My casual logic tells me that that fixed % commission structure does not fully encourage people who really "make the market" by bringing buyers and sellers together effectively. It may also have given too much payoff to the people who were good at getting listings and not enough to the people who beat the pavement taking people to houses.

On the other side of the coin, it may advantage the most savvy home buyers/sellers and people selling high end homes over the newbies and people with less income. We'll just see how it plays out.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s an odd model, where the agent does all kinds of work without pay until the very end.

What's pretty clear from the empirical literature is that agents and home buyers/sellers do not necessarily have the same interests. Your agent isn't really on your side.

Unless you are time-pressed, YOU want to sell at a price that fully reflects the home's value. That's a value you don't really know. But your agent may prefer you to sell a month early at a lower price. Waiting that extra month might net you an extra $50K but the agent only gets $1,500. In that same month, the agent can do work to nail down other sales with a personal value to him/her of well in excess of the extra $1,500 received from doing the extra work to get you your best value.

One thing we know from the evidence is that agents who sell their own homes tend to get a higher price for it than you get for your otherwise identical home.

Rutherford, R. C., Springer, T. M., & Yavas, A. (2005). Conflicts between principals and agents: Evidence from residential brokerage. Journal of Financial Economics, 76(3), 627–665.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing we know from the evidence is that agents who sell their own homes tend to get a higher price for it than you get for your otherwise identical home.

Yeah, that's pretty telling.

Also this:
quote:
I suspect that this change will work to advantage the better agents at the expense of the weaker/lazier agents.

Around here, I have noticed that the person "on duty" at open houses is never the listing agent. It's always someone younger, connected to the agency, but not the listing agent.

I always wonder if those folks are getting an hourly wage or what. And if so, who pays them, and when.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Around here, I have noticed that the person "on duty" at open houses is never the listing agent. It's always someone younger, connected to the agency, but not the listing agent.

I always wonder if those folks are getting an hourly wage or what. And if so, who pays them, and when.
I get the impression that newbie agents are usually the ones babysitting open-houses, and they are not paid for their time. The rationale is the the newbies can use open-houses as opportunities for experience and exposure, maybe pickup new clients from visitors who have not already have agents of their own.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get the impression that newbie agents are usually the ones babysitting open-houses, and they are not paid for their time. The rationale is the the newbies can use open-houses as opportunities for experience and exposure, maybe pickup new clients from visitors who have not already have agents of their own.

Ah yes, the old “do it for the exposure model” but I wonder how often it actually works out that way.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Got a license.
Acted as though I was selling real estate for a while.
Became familiar with a number of agents and practices.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The idea that I should have to pay 6% to sell a great house in a hot market is nuts.

Let them compete on price like everyone else. Some may charge a flat fee. Some may work by the hour. Some may work on commission. Fine.

The good ones will do great.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
how would one go about finding out if a house sold in 2020 is part of the settlement?

I thought I had read months ago that the settlement would cover sales that go back that far.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21343 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post